xxvii. IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVENIT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

My life was literally a mess.

  School had ended a few hours ago and everyone else was busy getting ready for the big game tonight. We were in the state championship and it was a colossal deal for our school. Coach was literally trying to bribe everyone in Econ to come out and support the team. Basically everyone was going because they wanted to avoid the mandatory D he was threatening to give anyone who didn't show.

  And then there was me who was avoiding the game like the plague. I knew I should be there. Shit was literally going to go down tonight. We all knew that Gerard had some kind of plan. Scott had texted me a little while ago, talking about how Gerard was apparently the one controlling Jackson now. And that Jackson was playing the game tonight. Meaning that our enemy had a giant weapon right on the freaking field.

  I should be there to help, to try and do something to get Scott the ability to take Jackson out before he could cause harm to anyone. But here I was, curled up on my bed in Stiles' lacrosse hoodie, staring blankly at the wall. I didn't want to go to the game, mainly because Stiles was surely going to be there.

  He had literally avoided me ever since our encounter in Morrell's office. I had tried just about everything short of kidnapping him and tying him to a chair. I didn't want to seem overly desperate but there was the nagging voice in my head shouting 'what did I do wrong?'

  I missed Stiles. We had talked every day since we were little and we were always attached at the hip. And now Batman was off doing his work without Catwoman. Batman wasn't supposed to desert Catwoman. That's not how a love story was supposed to freaking go.

  So here I was, the embodiment of pity and self-loathing, curled up in my boyfriend's sweatshirt. I mean, he still was my boyfriend right? There had been no finality to what we were and I was literally clinging onto that small sliver of hope coming from that. He talked about how he wanted to be with me forever. Last time I checked, forever was a lot longer than a few measly months or so.

  I picked my phone up from beside me and sighed. Slipping it back in my pocket, I reflected on my lack of a social life right now. No new messages. No new calls. Nothing. Absolute silence on his end. Actually, silence on everyone's end. Scott had only contacted me over the past few days to deal with kanima/Gerard business. Allison was riding the crazy train right now. The only one had continuously kept contact with me was Lydia, who had been driving me to school the past few days. I seriously needed to get some mode of transportation.

  Speaking of mode of transportation, a car sounded from outside my house. My heart raced at the sound and I leapt off my bed, jogging over to my window. It had to be Stiles. Who else would be coming to my house right now? A giant grin was stretching across my face as I looked down, hoping to see the powder blue Jeep parked in my driveway. The smile instantly dropped and the butterflies were replaced with panic as I recognized the vehicle parked in my driveway.