Chapter 36: I. Don't. Care.

A/N: Thank you guys so much for the awesome supports and votes! So I'm giving you what you asked for: an update!

Over 3K reads and honestly, I know it's a small number, but I'm grateful for those reads cos this is my first book.

Chapter 36: I. Don't. Care.

I violently shove the school doors open, causing everyone's head to turn to me like creepy horrifying dolls.

Ignoring every pair of eyes, I head to my locker to retrieve my bag that I had left at school. I roughly open the metal box after unlocking it and haul out my bag, along as some few homework books.

"Look who decided to come back after running away?" Nicole's shrill voice rang in my ear, a few decibels louder than a normal voice.

"Nicole, if I remember properly, you're the one who was too weak to defend herself and instead, you asked you're boyfriend to do all the work for you," I respond, giving her my divided attention.

I swear her face fell. Her typical blue eyes darkened, her face changing into a red complexion. She's tongue tied. "What? Did I struck a nerve?" I ask without the slightest hint of interest.

Instead, a malicious smirk replaces her frown and she says, "Don't worry, your words mean nothing. Although I do hope that what's coming to you will mean something." With that, she turns on her heels and struts away, with the click-clack of her heels resonating behind her, filling the almost empty halls of the school.

I try to understand her words. I find it difficult to register her words in my mind, trying to find the meaning.

Although I do hope that what's coming to you will mean something.

That girl has something up her sleeve. Something smells like fish, and trust me, fish is not supposed to smell like fish.

Pretend that made sense.

Pushing Nicole's threatening words to the back of my mind, I walk back out of the school doors. As I'm a few meters out of the doors, an arm attaches itself to my bag and violently pulls me back, resulting in me loosing my balance and I almost fall, but the unknown arm offers support.

A dark pair of eyes attack my hazel ones. Anger's oozing out of the now almost black eyes, steam escaping his tainted-red ears.

What's got his panties in a twist?

"Can I help you?" I ask, not even pretending to me scared, 'cause honestly, I'm not.

I've learnt to step up against bullies. To not give them access to trample all over you like a door mat used to wipe off dirty shoes on a rainy day. I've learnt that crying won't stop the bullying; it increases it. Begging to be left alone won't stop the punches, the insults and threats;  they'll just be thrown at you more often, weakening your already awakened spot.

You have to always face your bullies, look them up in the face and have no fear. No doubt. No worry. Block out their hateful comments, the laughter that always rings in your ears every time your feet set foot into the hallway, knowing well that they're gossiping about the unattractive nerd, outcast and reject.

You.

Learn to not care. To not take them to heart. It's difficult, I know. It took me almost my whole life to learn that. Eventually I built a wall. A wall of safety, protecting every corner of my almost broken heart. I used the wall as a defense mechanism, a weapon, built from pain, anger and suffering. I built it out of three words with the utmost simplicity...

I. Don't. Care.

Just those three words helped me. Protected me from the fiery arrows aimed at me. I used them to shut the hateful comments. The latest lies and news about the nerd. Everyone stopped caring, seeing as how I didn't even care. The gossip eventually died, the bullying lessened, eventually coming to an abrupt stop.