11TH SHOT

THE RIPPING SOUND the paper made as namjoon tore it off and balled it up did nothing to distract his mind from his wandering thoughts. tossing it into the trashcan, he let out a heavy breath. his writer's block had become even worse after he left kore.

kore.

he didn't want to think about her. but that was all he seemed to do. why she did it. who the man she was with was. if she was with him at the moment. if she really loved him. how he missed her smile and the sound of her laugh. if there had even been anything real between them. if she was thinking about him now.

his phone buzzed. casting his gaze towards it, he saw the name flashing across the screen. reflexively, he reached for it, about to answer the call despite the echo of yoongi's voice in his head warning him not to.

his thumb was hovered over the answer button, ready to swipe when he heard it. "it's supposed to be a surprise, we can't very well call and ask where his office is, eli." that voice coupled with the accent sounded incredibly familiar. "and you're meant to be here by now. where are you?"

gisela.

and she was just right outside his door, talking to someone on the phone. placing his phone back on his small work desk, namjoon got on his feet slowly, all thoughts of answering kore's call forgotten.

"you're always busy doing something or the other. i really don't want to sound like a nag but you're always either late or don't show up at all because 'something came up'. please, just don't bail on me this time."

he could see a form standing outside of the frosted glass doors. reaching for the handles, he pulled the doors open. she whirled around to face him, phone still held to her ear, looking like she was about to apologise. her eyes widened with recognition when she realised it was him. "eli, call me when you get here."

she shoved the phone into her purse, eyes still on him. "namjoon?" his name left her lips with an unsure note. "gisela." he eyed her furtively and found himself wondering how she didn't own a fashion blog. "what are you doing here?"

"i could ask you the same." he answered, rubbing the back of his neck shyly. "i work here." he added with a small smile. her mouth formed an "o" as she nodded. "here to see someone?" he questioned.

she pushed both her hands into the pockets of her loose fitting shorts. "uh, yeah. my childhood friend back in germany. today is his birthday and he still doesn't know i moved here so i wanted to surprise him." she explained. "ah..." namjoon nodded with understanding. germany. that explained the accent.

"i'm just waiting for my... friend to show up with the cake he promised to help me pick up." he noted the pause, as though she wasn't sure how to address this eli person. namjoon concluded that the description of their relationship was probably in limbo. it's complicated.

"want to come wait in my office?" he offered, gesturing behind him. her eyes followed his hand, looking into his studio. "yes, please. thank you." she smiled graciously. he stepped out of the way, opening the door wider so she could come in.

"so you're into music, hm?" she started, turning around to face him as he shut the doors, hands still in her pockets. "yeah, i write and produce." he nodded, taking cognisance of her awkward form. "please sit, sit!" he pointed to the small royal blue couch.

"thanks," she dropped herself onto the plush furniture as he took his place at his desk. her gaze moved to the little trash can filled with balled up papers. "writing not going well?" she looked back up at him. he chuckled mirthlessly shaking his head. "no, it's not. i haven't been able to come up with anything substantive in weeks."

"ah, well. maybe you're stressed? i think it's good to take a break from life sometimes and get some fresh air. for me, i like to find undiscovered gems to eat at without thoughts of anything else. or i just spend time out surrounded by nature. nature is really soothing. you should try it. maybe it'll help-" she paused, lips pressing together.

"and i'm rambling again." her cheeks flushed, a small embarrassed smile pulling her lips up. another chuckle left his parted lips. "i agree. nature is very soothing. maybe what i need is a distraction to keep my mind off stressful thoughts." one hand came up to ruffle dirty blond hair. she grinned, eyes grateful.

"by the way, what's the name of your childhood friend? i could point out his office to you." he picked up his pen, twirling it between his fingers. "kurtis. kurtis adler." she answered and his eyes rounded. "oh, kurt! great guy. his office is on the floor above. 407."

"thank you, namjoon for-" she was cut off by her phone ringing. "sorry," quickly, she pulled it out of her purse, swiping the answer button. "eli? i'm in 305. okay." namjoon watched her end the call and get on her feet, following her actions. "he's here so i guess i have to get going. thanks for keeping me company."

"it was nothing." he beamed. there was a knock at the door before it was gently pushed open. "gigi?" a face poked in first, then the whole body. "come in, eli. i want you to meet my friend, namjoon."

the man stepped further inside, a box that most likely held the cake in his grip. he looked familiar to namjoon but he couldn't recall where from.

"eli, this is namjoon kim. namjoon, this is eli gray." gisela introduced. "nice to meet you, man." eli balanced the box on one hand, stretching out the other for a handshake. namjoon took it, smiling back at the him. "nice to meet you too."

"well, we have to go now. thanks once again, namjoon. and i'll see you around." gisela touched his arm, making him grin softly at her. "yeah. and tell kurtis i said happy birthday." she waved before walking out the door, eli behind her.

namjoon continued to stare at the door even after they were gone, wondering why he knew eli's face. suddenly the memory hit him. kore walking hand in hand with a man, smiling widely. and eli gray was that man.

☀️☀️☀️

this chapter is unedited because i'm lazy.

welcome eli into the story haha. i think someone actually guessed what role he'd play in this correctly. he's the "other man".
in case anyone wanted to know, the face claim for eli gray is mick maio and his instagram is mickmaio. ya welcome ;)

 ya welcome ;)