Chapter 24: Toda confesses! What happens next will shock you!

The day was rather silent, the rain had left most inklings not wanting to risk an outdoor excursion, and Toda didn't blame them one bit. In fact, today he was grateful that there was a risk of rain, there were less people around to see or ask about his limp, though the cold felt worse on his cuts. Regardless of weather, he had one of his arms wrapped around Bato's shoulders, letting him support some of his weight. His other arm was carrying a plastic bag, which held Simon's freshly-cleaned coat. It was about time he got it back to them anyway... And he could tell Simon that he liked them back. He felt a flutter in his stomach that was so familiar, and yet, so in a different light. He'd never had someone he liked... actually like him back before. Love him back... Simon...

A car drove down the street, the water from the road splashing up and hitting his legs. "Ahhhh!!!" He yelped, pulling close to Bato.

"That was rude." Bato grunted. "They didn't even slow down."

"... Yeah." Toda huffed.

"Oh well... The twin's house is just up ahead here anyway." Bato said, pointing with his free arm.

"W... Wait a moment." Hachi said, the first time she'd spoken the whole trip. "That's where they live?"

"Yep." Bato nodded.

"Just the two of them?" Hachi continued, tone incredulous.

"No, I'm pretty sure there's four of them." Bato said. "Jill, Simon, and their mother and father."

"Just the four of them!?" Hachi asked, louder this time.

"How many did you– ugh– think lived in there?" Toda asked, grunting when he accidentally put too much weight on his leg.

"... Ten?" Hachi said. "Thirteen?"

"... Thirteen people might be a little snug." Toda commented.

"But, would anyone need this much space?" Hachi asked.

"People can spend a lot of time in their house." Bato said. "And have a lot of things they like to do. Often they need this much space for all of that."

As they drew near the driveway, a sports car pulled out, and then drove down the road at startlingly fast speeds. "... That must be Madeline." Said Toda.

"Madeline?" Bato asked. "Wait, Madeline... Grace... Oh, that's Simon and Jill's mom? They said they had a mother in professional battles, but I never thought—"

"Hey guys!" Jill called from the front step.

Toda looked over and smiled just a bit. "Hey Jill!"

"You just missed my mom, Bato!" Jill said. "She was really excited to meet you!"

"Aw, that's a shame." Bato said.

"So, you guys want to come in for a minute while I get out the umbrellas?" Jill asked.

"Yes please." Toda said. "I have to get Simon's coat back to them." He held up the grocery bag he was carrying, hoping it wasn't too obvious how tightly he was holding it right then.

Jill gestured inside. "Well I think you know where Simon's room is, you could go take it up to them if you want! I mean.. they might not open the door, but you could still do it."

"Alright." Toda nodded, limping past her and into the house, wiping his feet before continuing towards the stairs.

"Um." Bato said. "Do you need help getting up the–?"

"I've got it." Toda cut him off. He took a deep breath, then climbed up the stairs slowly, relying heavily on the railing. He was pretty sure the butterflies and knots in his stomach had fused into something different altogether. He was nervous. Should he bring it up now...? If they were worried about him knowing, maybe telling them would help them... or would it make it worse? And what exactly should he say? As he reached the top of the stairs he began to slow, trying desperately to find the words that he needed. Before he knew it he was in front of their door. Since he'd last been here, the faded spot where letters had been had been given a fresh coat of paint so you couldn't read what it had once said. Good, he didn't want to know that anyway...