Chapter 33: A trip down memory lane

Warning: There is gore toward the end of the chapter, and some ablest language.

"That battle was awesome!" Jill said with a grin as they entered the lobby to the kelp dome, another victory for team waffle under their belt. "You'd think we've all been sleeping well! Simon, did the results say you got eight splats??"

Toda glanced at Simon, who nodded and spun their slosher around in their hands proudly. That confidence was so striking, it exuded off of them...

Bato whistled, and propped his Inkbrush N up against his shoulder. "Nicely done. I think Toda and I got five Bubblers off between the two of us that round... I'm missing my Inkstrike, though." He admitted with a small chuckle.

"You guys were untouchable!" Jill grinned broader.

"Jill, you had my back a few times too, don't forget that." Simon said, having to repeat themselves a few times to be heard over the din of the crowded lobby.

"And mine." Toda added. "When Bato did get splatted by the Rapid Blaster Kid, and you took him out from above before he could charge up a shot to hit me? That was amazing!"

"Well, I mean, I try..." Jill said, sheepishly looking away in that way she did when she didn't think she really did much. "But you guys had my back too! Remember that charger who almost got me?"

"I actually didn't know they were there, I just threw a splat bomb." He laughed.

"And I remembered not to try and throw an ink mine the entire match." Bato chuckled.

"I guess what training we did was worth it." Simon said. "We should find a place to sit you down though, Toda."

Toda cast a quick look around and nodded in agreement. "Yeah... my leg is hurting pretty badly again."

Bato looked around, a frown forming on his face. "I think we'll either have to ask someone if they'd be willing to give up their seat, or we'll have to look outside."

"I vote outside. It'll be quieter~" Jill said. "I can't hear myself think in here!"

Simon raised a hand in agreement.

"Alright." Bato said, casting a glance at Toda. "You need a hand?"

"I've got it." He said as he shook his head and began to walk toward the front doors, having to say many 'excuse me's along the way. As he stepped outside, a warm, but not blistering, summer heat washed over him, and he sighed. "How's that bench sound?" He asked, pointing a short ways down the block.

"Looks good to me, we better hurry before someone else takes it." Bato said.

"Ya' know..." Jill said, with a big smile. "I'm really glad we got to do this. Even without the training, we-"

There was a loud blast, from a charger's shot, and then a *SPLAT*, followed by a scream from Simon. Jill was gone, leaving behind a dark splotch of ink, which if he had to guess was an octarian shade of purple.

He yelped and began to retreat back into the building, but as he looked through the glass doors he saw many octolings inside ripping off disguises and opening fire at everyone inside. They wouldn't last ten seconds in there, there were just too many of them.

"Squid behind me, both of you!" Bato barked, and then slammed his brush to the ground and began to run for safety.

"Toda, go!" Simon said, shoving him forward as tears sprang to their eyes.

Toda staggered, then squidded and followed right behind Bato, trying to quell his own panic. He didn't have much time to think however before another shot went off and Bato exploded in front of him. He squeaked and tried to stop swimming, but then Simon bumped into him from behind and knocked him into the splotch which used to be his best friend. The ink around him bubbled and spat, and he had no choice but to change back to his humanoid form and attempt to pull free.