Coming Home

After lunch, Hanami ventured to do the dishes but was stopped by a rather terse 'No.' The man had grabbed an apron, strung it around his waist and had prepared as if to do the dishes in no time.

Hanami lingered about, sitting by the kitchen table under the pretense of reading a magazine. She watched Arata Miyama, the Chairman of a reputed company, wearing a striped yellow apron, focused on scrubbing the stain off a dish. His brows pressed together into a frown, big hands fumbling with the delicate dishes. It was an odd sight and it made her lips twitch at the corners. On occasions he cast uneasy glances at her but that wasn't enough to fob her off. With the dishes sparkling and arranged on the rack, Mr Miyama took a seat across her. A faint smell of citrus dish washing liquid wafted in the air.

"I'll be going out this afternoon." She leafed through the glossy page. It was a business magazine and the complex jargon did not appeal to her. She placed it back on the table. "I still have some of my belongings with my roommates. If you're okay with me bringing more of my things in your house, should I go get them?"

"My house?"he repeated, picking up on the change of tone.

Hanami dropped him a glance. "Yes, your house."

"I don't mind." He swiped a hand through his hair, giving them a damp shine. She nodded and raised herself to her feet but the man cleared his throat, making her pause. "I'll drive you there. You can't carry that much on your own."

"No thank you. I'll get a cab."

"Alright."he said, picking up the strewn magazine. Without any word exchanged between them, Hanami left for her room.

After an entire day of rain spilling from the sky, gray clouds had given way to sunshine. The world was cleansed, as if someone had swiped a cloth through a dusty window. Every color popped out-green of the foliage of a Zelcova trees by the bus stand, the red of wild flowers teeming by the crack of a pavement and the bright blue of her dress.

Air warmed by the mid morning sun carried a hint of freshness. Hanami took in a deep breath and rested her head on the side of the bus window, letting the soothing mixture of sun and wind calm her thoughts. Outside, the scene burgeoned from high rise skyscrapers to clusters of small residential buildings. Inside the bus, a child sat beside her on the mother's lap. She pointed to a man sitting across them. He had fallen asleep and drooled all over his shirt. The mother shushed the child and Hanami gave her a smile. It was a short ride.

Once she boarded off the bus, she found herself in a familiar part of the city. As if by instinct, she traced the cobbled path leading towards the residential apartments, skirted past the vacant lot which was now a construction site, came across an old man who would always nod at her and found herself before a nondescript building. This was home. Not just the little portion in the flat but the old man,the cat asleep on the post box, little flowers strewn on the street--everything.

Hanami clutched the straps of her shoulder bag and stepped through the gate. It creaked in welcome. Paring the distance between the entrance of the building and the fourth floor without an elevator, Hanami reached a small flat. The door had tiny strawberry and heart stickers decorating its white washed wood. She reached for the doorbell, hesitated for a moment and rang it.

After a minute, the door swung open to reveal a round face. A young woman peered at Hanami for a second before clasping her hands together. "It's you! Come in, what are you waiting for? Mari, look who's here!"

Taking hold of Hanami's hand, she lead her inside. The door was shut containing the boisterous welcoming squeals.

Hanami glanced about the room. Nothing had changed. Not the furniture setting. Not the crooked frame on the wall. Not even the old springy couch they were planning to throw out.