Envelope

A glance out of the window showed the sun melting into a red sky. The red soaked into the blue that still bordered the horizon and slowly turned it violet. Hanami watched the scene with an unchanging expression. Her thoughts first went with the birds that flew homewards and then drifted into another evening. That one was indigo and full of stars. He touched her cheek and she saw the light rings in his eyes. Something passed between them but wasn't acknowledged. At the memory, her heart beat uneasily, with a heaviness, a slight melancholy.

It was Yukino's hand on her desk that roused her from the unending stream of thoughts.

"Don't plan to go home?"Yukino asked.

Hanami rose, gathered her belongings and pushed them into the small space of her bag. When a book refused to fit in, she gave it an irritated shove. Yukino raised a brow. Hanami noticed the expression, but did not explain herself. The two bowed to the elderly math teacher still present in the staff room and stepped out.

A breeze blew in silence, raking along the papery petals of the cherry blossom trees on the grounds. A boy and a girl stood beneath one, giggling with the naivete that high schoolers possess. Hanami turned her gaze ahead. The shadow of the gates stretched and morphed with her own fading one and for one passing moment, it left hers imprisoned.

"You're quiet,"said Yukino.

Hanami pushed her hands into her pocket and shrugged her shoulders. "Just tired."

"Well, if tired makes you take out your anger on books, I suggest you take rest." Yukino gave her a smile- the kind that is meant to be sympathetic rather than affectionate-and went her way. Hanami watched her stride down the road until it turned at a bend and disappeared.

Yukino was in her thirties. With her heart broken thrice, she had given up on the 'business of dating and relationships that was more a risk than gain' and chose instead to be a loving owner of a parakeet that went by the name Ai. As she stepped down the road, Hanami tried to imagine herself in her position but couldn't. She wasn't strong on her own and needed people. That, she disliked the most about herself.

Lost in thought, she wandered down the road. She bought herself a steaming can of tea and aimlessly stood by the corner, watching people. An office man scratching his nose as he stood waving for a taxi, an old lady with her grandson who was far too enthusiastic for her slow steps, self conscious high school students, a young couple walking hand in hand. She listened in on their conversations, the sound of cars buzzing past, the echo in the train station and slowly but surely, the thoughts in her head stilled. Arata was right. It was freeing to lose oneself.

Grocery in hand, when Hanami walked out of the elevator, she found a woman standing near their apartment. Tall, slightly older, long hair. No one that she knew. She drew closer to the door and took out the keys. Hearing the jiggle of metal, the woman glanced at her. Both stared at each other for a second. Then Hanami ventured, "Are you looking for someone?"

"Yes,"said the woman, gaze taking her in from head to toe. "Doesn't Mr Arata Miyama live here?"

"Yes, he comes home late."

"...You know him?"

Hanami gained an annoyed flush in her cheek, tired of having to answer the same questions over and over. The door unlocked and so did the woman's expression.

"Oh, my bad. You just didn't seem like..."

"It's alright." Hanami motioned to the door. "Why don't you step in?"

"Oh, I hope I am not intruding."

With the woman sitting daintily on the sofa silence settled again, thin like the layer that stretched over the surface of milk tea. Over the rim of her cup, Hanami observed the graceful guest. A key chain attached to the woman's bag caught her eye.