Smile

Two weeks went by in a whirl. He hurried to the office, she hurried to the school. Their routines did not collide, instead intertwining at the end of the day with a cup of coffee. They sat in their spots, took small sips and stared at the table. A comfortable silence separated their thoughts.

That night, when he got to the kitchen the chair opposite him was vacant. Arata brewed two cups of coffee and waited for a while, tapping his fingers on the counter. The coffee turned cold- a brown slog.

He made his way towards her room and unsure, stood outside. There was no sound. With reluctance, he lifted his hand to knock but the surface seemed to draw away from his touch. With a click the door swung open and Hanami startled at the sight of him. Again.

"Arata." Her voice came out breathy and hand went to her throat. "I was a bit surprised."

He was hit by a smell of soap and shampoo, when she stepped out to shut the door behind her. He caught a glimpse of a stack of books on the floor. "I took too long, sorry. Were you waiting?"

She looked at him. He was caught in her gaze. The fragrance curled around him in invisible wisps blocking his breath.

Arata turned away. "The coffee. I'll warm it up."

"So, how was your day?" she asked breaking the silence once they dropped to their respective seats. They never changed places, he noted.

"The same as usual. Yours?"

"This giant monster with wings attacked our school and I fought it with a sword."

He raised a brow. "I didn't see him."

"You must have been busy in your office. Looking at papers and all."

"Must be."

They exchanged smiles at the silly joke.

"Do you read?"he asked, "I happened to see the books on the floor just now."

"Oh, yes. They're my collection. I can go without my other things but I'd never leave them."

Her eyes turned soft. A pool of black ink.

"Do you write?"he continued, interested. "Readers eventually write, no?"

"It's nothing professional. Just for myself when I get the time." She took a sip. "What do you like to do?"

"I walk."He shrugged. "That's all."

"Walk? Where...?"

"Anytime, anywhere. Just put on the shoes and go. It's..."he struggled for the word.

"Freeing?"

His eyes lit up. "Yes, that. Freeing."

"Maybe I should try it sometime."

"It's better in the morning. The streets are quiet, the air's cool... But you're not exactly an early bird are you?" He smiled.

She shook her head, a soft pink in her cheeks. A smile though, eventually popped up on her lips as well.

Once her cup was drained,she stood up and went over to the sink. He finished the last swig slowly, relishing the bitter taste of dregs and stood up, only to sway when something soft and warm pressed into him. Trying to steady, his hands came to rest on small shoulders. They paused.

She flushed."Sorry."

He quickly let go. "Happens."

She wished him goodnight and left the kitchen. He sighed and wiped the water from her damp hair that had gotten on his chin. He knew that scent. Plum blossoms.

❀❀❀❀❀❀

Her fingers hovered over her phone keypad unsure whether to press send. The bluish light in the darkness made her eyes smart. Hanami shifted and held up the phone above her.

'To: Aizawa Mari
Text: How are you? '

She sighed and pressed send. Then placed her phone on the side table. To her surprise, a text popped up.

'From: Aizawa Mari
Text: I'm alive. '

Then another.

From: Aizawa Mari
Text: What you up to?

A smile brightened her face. She glanced at a book lying on her side.

To: Aizawa Mari
Text: In bed with Tolstoy.

A bubble popped up.

From: Aizawa Mari
Text: Already cheating on your husband? Told you it was a bad deal.

Hanami giggled. The phone slipped out of her hands to hit her face. She rubbed her nose and sat up, peering at the screen and thought for a reply.

To: Aizawa Mari
Text: It's not that bad. :)

Then, reluctantly,

To: Aizawa Mari
Text: Want to meet up?

From: Aizawa Mari
Text: Sure. Get a permission letter from your hubby first.

From: Aizawa Mari
Text: Kidding. ;)

She chuckled.

To: Aizawa Mari
Text: Sunday? Theatre? 4pm?

From: Aizawa Mari
Text: Done. :)

To: Aizawa Mari
Text: :)

Feeling light in the chest, Hanami placed the phone on the table. It buzzed with a text.

From: Aizawa Mari

Text: You're still an Idiot.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽