Summoned

It was on the evening of a wet September when Hanami realized that a total of three months had swept by without notice. Everyday was the same. Rising up with the ticking of clock, hurrying through morning routines, catching the train just in time, then school and finally ending the day with a shared cup of coffee. Recently it had turned into a sort of conversation session. The subjects touched more than weather, sometimes grazing over something sensitive. On such occasions, his eyes would turn hard or he'd look away or the tone of his voice would turn sharp... With such thoughts, Hanami stepped into the apartment and gently shut the door after. The dripping red umbrella was pushed into the stand, leaving a small puddle of water to seep out from the bottom.

The moment she entered the drawing room, Arata lifted his gaze from a newspaper held before his face."I hope you're free this weekend. We've been summoned."

"Summoned?" She settled on the chair on the side. "Where?"

"To Kyoto."said Arata without a single hint of interest. The voice resembled a listless announcement at the station."The Miyama family get-together is held every third week of September and all members are expected to make an appearance."

"It sounds very...formal."

"It is."

Hanami nodded, recalling a pale stern faced older couple, who'd stood silent all the while they were in the court. A mere shadow in mist of memory.

He looked up, shook the sheets of papers and returned his gaze to the article. "Go dry. You're dripping."

On the weekend the sky was a deep shade of blue. There were thick white clouds hovering in the horizon and as they floated above, their shadows passed in small patches on earth. The morning was spent packing and repacking since she did not know what to expect. An hour later, they stood at the station, both gazing at the end of the line. While the man stood stock-still, her hands clenched and unclenched, brows knitted in nervous musings and foot tapped by the luggage.

"You'll be fine."he said, dropping her a glance. She saw amusement gleam in them as if he were holding some sort of secret remedy.

"What happens at these events?"

"Tea ceremonies and such things."

She sighed."I was never good at being still for long hours."

"I can see that."

The bullet train arrived. Encased in glass and steel, it glittered with every beam of sunshine that touched its surface. They boarded the train and soon it was off, speeding through the landscape. The rapid change of scenery had a lulling effect on her. Pink, green, blue and gray mixed in a beautiful dreamy scene. Her eyes closed.

✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽✽