Lights

In the afternoon, the doctor carried out his routine checkup and in a discrete tone so common to his occupation , told them that Mr Izuko was out of danger and that there was no need to worry.

Mrs Izuko clasped her hands and sank to the plastic seat. Hanami stood by her mother, one hand resting on her shoulder in shared comfort. The boulder pressing on her heart melted into nothingness. She closed her eyes for a moment and opened them to see Arata watching her. He did not utter a word except, "Excuse me." and disappeared down the hallway.

When they were permitted to see Eiji Izuko, Hanami chose to stay back in the hallway. Her mother gave her a look, but did not press further.

"Not going to see him?"Arata asked when he returned and, pressed a can of tea in her hand.

She shook her head, keeping her gaze lowered to the green metallic surface of the tea can. It was warm and felt good between her palms.

"Why not?"

"I won't know what to say..."

He leaned against the wall, flicking the tab open to take a sip. "Don't say anything. Just go look."

She glanced towards the door. A white block of wood with a porthole beyond which her father lied. Old and tired.

"We never spoke to each other, you know..." Hanami pulled at the tab, popping it open. Her throat warmed with the drink. "He wanted a boy. And all he got was me. Mother was sick, I made her sick he said. So they couldn't have a son."

A tug to her hair made her look up. She heard a crackling sound behind her ear. Arata held up a small piece of decorative tape- with pink hearts on green background. She stared at it, remembering the fairy lights still on in their apartment, the Christmas yet to be celebrated.

"Go see him. Then we can go home, mhm?"

Hanami stared at the floor for a few minutes, hesitant, then ran a hand through her nest of a hair and stepped towards the door. Her heart hammered inside her chest. The door handle felt cold to touch. She took a deep breath and entered.

Her mother sitting by her father's side in silence, looked up, eyes wide and softened with moisture. Hanami stared at her as she always did in her father's presence as a child- asking her mother to mediate, to stay. But knowing she was no longer a child, she steeled herself and stepped closer to the bed.

Mrs Izuko bent to her husband and whispered, "Dear... Hana is here to see you."

He did not respond. The monitor kept beeping in the background. Her mother rose and passed by Hanami, quietly leaving the room.

Hanami stood by the foot of the bed for a beat, looking over the weakened man. His skin pale, eyes closed, hands pierced with needles. Circling the bed, she made her way to a small sitting stool and sat down with her hands clasped together.

Neither of them moved. She listened to the dripping sound of the IV, the consistent beep of the monitor and the rustle of the wind outside. It was snowing again.

"Are you warm enough?"left her lips.

A clump of snow dusted off a branch outside.

"I'm glad you are well, father."

He did not answer.

Hanami sat there for a long time, simply looking out the window, watching the wall of pure white that was the world outside. When she eventually rose to leave, she gave him another look and was surprised at the tenderness and affection that bubbled in her heart despite years of hurt and resentment. Perhaps, he was simply a stubborn old man in her eyes now.