Chapter 64

Khloe's POV

I awoke in a cold sweat to someone harshly shaking me.

All I knew was how fast my heart was beating, and that I had the undeniable feeling in my gut that I was scared.

The fact that I opened my eyes to pitch darkness didn't really help with that either.

The next thing I knew, I had a hand over my mouth and a body hovering above mine.

So instinctually, I grabbed at the hand, digging my nails into it as I felt warm tears run down my face.

A hiss of pain came from the person above me, partially snapping me back to reality.

"Ow Khloe!" Doe's sharp whisper sounded from above me.

My entire body froze once I realized what was happening.

Oh, my God.

I must have had another nightmare.

Part of me was glad that I didn't remember it, but the more rational half of me knew that there was more than just that to this situation.

Doe and I just stayed in that position for a couple seconds, while I tried to force myself to calm down.

Only then did I hear some shifting and mumbling from the pets in the other cages.

Doe removed her hand from my mouth as I began to push myself up onto my elbow, feeling how my body was trembling.

She also seemed to be pretty shaken up, judging by the faint silhouette of her body that I could make out.

"What did I do?" I asked hesitantly, already knowing that I had to have done something that woke her, and some of the other pets up.

She crawled over me so that she was no longer on top of me, sitting on her knees right beside me.

"You just started screaming out of nowhere." She explained, "Are you okay?"

I was happy to hear that she seemed more worried than upset with me.

I swallowed hard.

"Y-yea," I began, "Sorry, I just had a uh...nightmare."

It had been so long since I had a nightmare that I almost forgot the toll they had on me and the people around me.

Yet despite the nightmare already being over, I still felt... terrified.

And I knew that it was because Nico wasn't here beside me like he usually was. He was pretty much all I had when it came to protection and comfort.

I felt more tears begin to form in my eyes as I thought that over.

I'm such a baby.

I didn't even make it past the first night without missing him.

"Oh," Doe replied while I wiped my eyes, "Well, At least I think I stopped you before you woke up the vampir-"

Doe was cut off, with some sort of twisted timing, by a vampire kicking open the door to our room.

I barely saw the light begin to flood in before I saw panic begin to flash in Does eyes.

I already knew it was in mine.

"Who the HELL just did that!?" The vampire yelled with a rugged voice, waking up any of the pets that weren't already awake.

No one responded.

I'm pretty sure half of them were still pretending to be asleep.

That was a pretty common thing to do amongst pets as long as you knew how to control your breathing.