Chapter 65

Khloe's POV:

Doe didn't return for the rest of the night.

Nor did I see her during the entirety of the morning and afternoon tests.

The tests where they lined us up one by one and took every kind of sample you could think of before sending us back into our cages so they could process the results.

I did what Nico told me to do, I stayed in the middle with my eyes down and somehow ended up being one of the first pets done with the tests.

Luckily the vampire that met with me wasn't too forceful but...

I rubbed the spot on my elbow that still ached after he had taken my blood sample.

... He wasn't too gentle either.

Regardless of that, I kept my eyes peeled for Doe as I was lead back towards my cage.

She should have returned by now.

My stomach turned at the thought of her worst case scenario as I was pushed back into my cage.

I fell onto my hands and knees before the cage was slammed shut, being too tired to have tried to keep my balance.

They wouldn't have done anything too extreme to her right?

All the past times I've been here they always returned a couple hours after they were taken.

Even the ones that acted out this morning had already returned.

They returned bruised or bloody, but they at least returned.

I sat in the corner of the cage, my mind continues to race with these thoughts.

I felt like such a coward for not stepping up and admitting my faults.

Hours went by and Doe still hadn't returned.

Most of the pets had been returned to their cages by now, having finished all of their tests.

I hid my head in my arms, the guilt feeling like it was drowning me by this point.

She didn't deserve this.

She had already been through so much why did she-

My head shot straight up as I heard the door to my cage open. Followed shortly by A vampire forcing Doe into the cage.

She hit the cold bottom with a thud, glaring at the vampire as he shut the door.

I didn't notice any injuries right away, but I did catch that the back of her shirt had been completely shredded.

Her glare stayed on her face until she turned towards me, now looking surprised as if she didn't realize that I was in here.

I didn't waste any time making my way over to her.

I was partially relieved, but now very worried about her.

She was alive but not unscathed. 

"What happened? Are you okay?" I asked frantically.

She slowly pushed herself up.

"Y-Yea I'm fine," She replied, "It was just a couple lashes so ill be okay."

A shiver ran up my spine as she spoke.

The thought of being whipped again...

That could have been me.

That should have been me.

"Can I see?" I asked, wanting to know what should have happened to me.