Aggressive Annie

"I gave him a choice."

Annabeth yanked herself away from her mother, hugging herself tightly. "What did you do, Mom?"

Athena sighed. "Annabeth. I want you to know, first and foremost, that this was necessary."

"What- did- you- do." She enunciated every word, pain and anger hissing through them.

The goddess of wisdom wrung her hands together. "A couple days ago we had a visitor on Olympus."

Steve stood up, wrapping his arms around Annabeth to provide her a little bit of comfort. She leaned against him, but her frame was rigid, aggression striking out against what her mother was saying.

"She warned us," Athena said quietly. "Of a creature more powerful, more ancient than most of us were."

"What does that have to do with Percy?" Annabeth demanded.

"The creature was threatening war. His spokesperson said that only one person could stop it, and she told us what this creature wanted."

"He wanted a sacrifice." Bucky spoke up sharply. "And of course our selfless boy was completely willing to provide that."

Athena nodded slowly. "The creature said if he was provided with a child of the Big Three, he would retreat and leave us alone."

"So you, what, threatened Percy into killing himself for us?"

"He's still alive." Nico said quietly.

Annabeth looked over to him. He made a motion that he'd explain later.

"I didn't force Percy into doing anything." Athena said. "I explained to him what was going on, and the ultimatum. He did not tell me his choice, but I told him how to get there if he decided. I would assume he went."

Annabeth ripped herself away from Steve. It was only Bucky's quick thinking that kept her from grabbing the nearest sharp object to attack her mother with.

"We found his necklace with Annabeth." Bucky said. He casually adjusted his stance and Annabeth noted with a small smirk that his hand moved to the small pistol filled with Celestial Bronze bullets.

"It's his promise." Annabeth sighed, picking the necklace up off of the bed. "But that promise wouldn't have been necessary if your stupid group of glorified pansies weren't so afraid of everything!"

Nico's eyebrows shot up, but he made no move to stop Annabeth as she whirled to face Athena. "You stupid Olympians always screw everything up and then expect us to fix it!"

"Who was the spokesperson?" Steve asked suddenly.

"Why does it matter?" Athena frowned.

"Just answer the question." Nico rolled his eyes. Goddesses.

She sighed. "It was Medusa."

"So that's why you came to Percy." Annabeth scowled. "Of course she asked for your help. And of course you said yes because you've always helped her in any way you can."

Athena sighed. "Yes. She asked me for help. But I didn't push Percy to anything specific. I swear that on the Styx."

"Swear it on the Fates." Annabeth snapped.

The room went silent.

"Annabeth..." Nico said slowly.

"I want to hear it, Mom. On the Fates."

Athena took a slow breath. "I swear on the Fates, Annabeth, I did not steer Percy towards a specific decision. I only told him the situation and the choices he could make."

Lightning flashed outside. Annabeth raised her eyebrows.

"I guess that answers that question." Nico said quietly.

"Just. Just leave, Mom. Get out."

Athena frowned at her daughter, but nodded and walked out of the building.

"I'm going to find him." Annabeth said sharply.

"No you aren't." Steve grabbed her arm. "Annabeth, I love you and Percy and I get that you want to go after him, but we have no clue where he is, how to find him, or how to get to him."

"Besides, you need to rest." Nico added.

Annabeth snorted. "You're the last person I expected to say that."

He smiled wryly.

"Fine. I'll lie down, I'll wait. But if I get the chance I'm not staying here." Annabeth told them.

Steve nodded. "Fair."

She got back in bed and they were quiet for an hour. Annabeth dozed a little, but her nerves kept pulling her back awake.

Bucky and Nico talked in the corner, voices too low to hear. Steve sat in the chair, staring at his hands.

Annabeth suddenly heard voices outside. Reyna. She sounded surprised. And another woman's voice, much angrier and more aggressive.

Reyna poked her head into the room. "Annabeth. You've got another visitor."

Annabeth nodded, gently pushing herself up so she was sitting.

A regal looking woman stepped into the room. She was gorgeous, and the furious scowl did nothing to take away from that.

"Where is my son?"

[A/N idk if y'all have noticed this but I'm starting to incorporate my own ideas into these stories. The 'swearing on the Fates' one is my new favorite]