Chapter five: Accident on the ramp

“Sydney, you are out of focus, amore. You are walking almost on the edge of the catwalk.” Gianni Ammirati, the Italian runway choreographer of High Society called my attention--which is wandering off somewhere--to those piercing gray eyes, and to those promising lips... I shook my head harshly, shaking off the thoughts that are driving me into insanity. After that incident, there were two things I was glad about. First, when I came home on that morning, I'd learned that my mom didn't come home from her so-called client meeting slash date, I'm sure of it, so I didn't bother giving her any explanation about my whereabouts that night. Second, Cole is still on suspension. So, I won't be seeing him until next Tuesday. But why am I thinking about him like a lovesick girl? Because you're beginning to like him, that is. My subconscious interjected wickedly. I dismissed the idea and turned my attention to Gianni who's eyeing me and marveling about what's on my mind to be this distracted. He must be surprised since I usually work professionally even though I'm the daughter of the owner of this fashion clothing line. I always do my job flawlessly.

“I'm sorry. Let's do it again.” I said giving him my confident smile to reassure him that I'm good to go. He smiled back and waved at the other models to start from the top. I turned around to go back from the backstage when I caught Chalina Pérez staring at me with contempt, but I'm not sure since she smiled instantly when I stared back at her. I'll have to deal with her later. I don't like people giving me strange glances, especially in my turf. Who the hell does she think she is? She's just a poor and ambitious girl, climbing her way up to the modeling world, but she'll never catch up with me. I don't need to climb any ladder just to be rich. I'm already an Heiress before I was even born. Chalina is pretty, I do admit. She is a Colombian-American girl with beautiful brown skin, chocolate-brown eyes and a perfect body. Also with a height to be envied about, which I don't. She's a lot taller than me, almost six feet tall. I guess, I'm more than satisfied with myself and arrogant to be envious about anyone, especially to a person who is below my social rank. I actually find her disconcerting. I don't know why, maybe the way she stares at me every time I catch her looking at me. But most girls stare at me so I should get used to it. I glided toward her on the catwalk with elegance, overtaking her, but stopped momentarily, not giving her a glance and spoke quietly but menacingly.

“I don't like it when a lowly person stares at me.” I heard her gasp, but I just walked off. I have no time for a cat fight. Maybe after the show, I'll show her how she should know her place and not mess with me. She'll be a great distraction for my troubled mind. My upper lip twitched into a smile.

====####====

We just finished the dress rehearsals on the runway when Chalina approached me. The nerve! I rolled my eyes, but was glad since I was planning to pick on her right after the rehearsals and she made it easier for me.

“Sydney, can I talk to you?” She asked a bit hesitant when she saw my cold stare. I raised my eyebrow at her and gazed at her hand, which is on my shoulder.

“First of all, I don't want your filthy hand touching me---I stated harshly yet gracefully and brushed away her hand from my shoulder and if she has a fair complexion, I might think that she's blushing because of humiliation---Secondly, don't call me casually by my first name when we're not even friends. And lastly, don't talk to me, like ever. Go talk to someone your own level.” I said and pushed her. She staggered back, teary-eyed, and turned away toward the dressing room when the other models, male and female who heard our little conversation, giggled. I noticed, she doesn't have any friends here, the other models which have the same agency as her, seem to dislike her guts as well. Well, that's not my problem, does it? I walked to my own dressing room nonchalantly and got dressed. Tomorrow is the Fashion show for High Society's Winter Collection, but I'm still not in the mood. I grabbed my stuffs and went out when my phone beeped. I lazily took my phone out of my bag and saw a message from Cole. I saved his number last time he called me so I won't answer it if he calls again. I ignored it and put it back in my bag, when it rang. What an insidious and persistent pest... I sighed and decided to just turn off my phone when I noticed that it was from an unknown caller. I don't want to answer it, but my curiosity overcame my indifference.