Chapter six: An awkward situation

“What are you doing here?” I asked incredulously and threw another scratch of paper in the trash bin, but the poor thing didn't make it and landed on the floor along with the other crumpled papers. It's a Monday, but I'm stuck at home and extremely dead-crazy-bored. I was discharged from the hospital early this morning and all I did was sleep since my mom told me not go to school today and just have one more day of rest. Now I was trying to sketch some new designs of shoes to entertain myself, but my right hand seemed to coordinate with my injured left wrist. I tried sketching, but all I did was scribbled something indescribable. Cole walked toward the wad of mess on the floor and bent down to pick them up and threw them in the trash bin. In spite of it, I'm thankful that I didn't get my right hand injured or I'll most definitely freak out since I have an art class as my elective subject and art is my passion.

“What are you doing?” He asked me, emphasizing each word while ignoring my question.

“Are you blind?” I asked sarcastically.

“You're not supposed to—”

“What, you're my mother now? Who let you in, anyway?” I'm pretty irritated since I woke up this morning and the cast on my left wrist is getting really itchy. I'm just glad the bothersome bandage on my head had been removed already and was replaced with a tiny plaster.

“So you can pick on the poor girl?” He asked amused.

“So I can fire her!” I hissed. I'm guessing it's Rita. She's the only one who is dumb enough not to know my so-called rules until now.

“I harassed her to let me in. It's not her fault.”

“Harassed or flirted with?” I sat straight on my bed and dropped my sketch pad with a thud on the side table. I could imagine him flirting his ass on Rita and the stupid girl batting her lashes at him naively in return. The thought is making me more irritated like a pregnant woman with a hormonal imbalance. Cole chuckled charmingly and sat down on the blue velvet tufted cushion ottoman just beside my bed.

“Baby, do you know how damn cute you look right now?” His words got me flustered and made my face flushed. I owe it to my wavy dark curls which is covering my deep red face or Cole will laugh at me if he sees it.

“So, why are you here?” I asked, to change the topic.

“Well, about what you said the other day—He raised one of his hands, a gesture to let him speak first---You said not tell your mom and not even the police. I understand you don't want to raise a panic from your mom and we're not sure that someone really wants to kill you, but those threatening emails could mean something so I decided to be your bodyguard.” He declared with a serious look.

“What?! No! That's insane!” I burst out my protest.

“No. You're insane. You might be in danger and you're not even reporting that to the police. Why'd you tell me in the first place? Cole shot me an annoyed glance.

“W-well... I.. I'm--” I was caught off guard. I was surprised with his question. I don't even know why I told him. I just felt scared at that time and I don't have anyone to confide and he was there. C'mon Sydney... You want him to protect you, just admit it you, silly girl. My subconscious taunted me and I frowned. That's just not true. I will never believe that.