The Lion King 4 - Chapter one

The orange sun sunk into the horizon, it's blood sweeping over the lands, illuminating some things in various shades from bright orange to muddy brown, and darkening other things to deep black. Kovu was nothing but a black figure at the edge of pride rock. He watched the watering hole shimmer in the light breeze, the last of the animals settling to rest, and sighed, trying to sort out his muddled emotions. He was unsuccessful. His mate had gone into the cave to comfort Vitani, the two were like sisters. Her mother was dead, and she was heartbroken. Kovu didn't know how to feel- for all he knew, his parents were still out there, alive.

"Kovu?" Whispered a voice at his side. An equally dark figure brushed up against him, her eyes shimmering amber. "Kiara." He whispered back, unable to overcome the urge to touch her, to embrace her. He tackled her lovingly and gently to the ground, and stood over her, nuzzling her. "Kovu was it my fault?" She whispered. He looked at her in shock and in that split second she wriggled from underneath him, and paced quickly to the other side of the ledge, sitting with her back to him so that he couldn't see her tears. "Kiara, it will never be your fault. Mufasa knows you tried, Kiara. Please, don't ever blame yourself." He told her gently, following her, and sitting up against her. She leant against him and he washed her tears away, and brushed her crown with his chin. She buried her muzzle into his mane, breathing in his scent. She loved him more than anything, And he felt the same about her. "Let's go home, Kiara." Whispered Kovu, leading her to a small cave in the base of pride rock where Shenzi, Banzai and Ed had once slept, but was now the couples home. "Big enough for a family." Joked Kiara. She knew how much Kovu wanted cubs. "One day." He smiled, laying down, and providing his love with a cushion for her tired head.