Happiness

Nico ran out of the room. He bursted out the school doors and out into the streets. The brown eyed boy panted, out of breath from running so much. He spotted a McDonald's restaurant not too far away from where he was. Nico bounded towards it.

    Once he was in the McDonald's, Nico shyly ordered a Happy Meal. He walked outside, embarrassed to eat the meal in front of anyone. The boy sat down on a secluded place in the park nearby. Nico leaned his back against a tree, carefully opening the cardboard of the box. He ate each part of the meal one by one. He was about to eat the last chicken nugget when a hand grabbed it from behind.

    “You know,” the voice said, “these are bad for you.”

    Nico turned around to see Will waving his chicken nugget in the air. Nico huffed and strained his arm trying to reach for his stolen food. Will frowned slightly.

     “Why did you leave?” The now frowning boy asked. Nico, surprised by the sudden question, flinched faintly and averted his eyes.

     'He’s your soulmate.’ A voice in the back of his head said.

     He has Drew. Why would he want you? A voice much like his goaded in his head.

     Voices taunted in his head like ghosts whispering around him. Nico curled in on himself, sighing shakily. He felt hands on his shoulders.

    “Hey,” Will began, “Are you okay?” Nico stared into his beautiful cerulean blue eyes that held so much worry.

     “I’m fine.” He croaked out. He knew Will could tell he was lying, but Will let it go. Nico was about to get up when he felt arms wrap around him. He heard Will sigh.

     “You shouldn’t run away like that, you could have gotten hurt.” The short boy hesitantly wrapped his hands around the blond, closing his eyes and accepting the warmth. He felt himself holding back tears.

     Who would want me as a soulmate? Nico yelled inside his head. Warm hands cupped his face and he met those amazing eyes again. Will smiled warmly at him and Nico felt his self-hatred wash away.

     “Nico, what’s wrong?” Will asked him quietly. He opened his mouth to get it out of his system when something on the blue eyed boy’s neck caught his eye.

     A hickey.

    Nico froze up and averted his eyes from Will once again. The warm hands on his face felt like they were burning him. Too close. Will was too close to him. So close he was being burned.

     “I told you I’m fine.” Nico told him, trying to mask his pain. His eyes kept going to the hickey.

     A hickey placed by Drew, his girlfriend. He told himself. Will wasn’t having it.

     “Nico, tell me. ” The blond said sternly.

    “Do you believe in soulmates?” Nico questioned silently. Will seemed to soften.

     “Of course I do, but I believe soulmates don’t have to tie you down to who you love.” He felt the tall boy caress his face gently.