SIX

Thank you sooo much menamemoh. It's for the cover 💕💯

NOT PROOF-READ

RECAP

'Can you first promise me?, promise me you'd never leave me'. She said with teary eyes.

'I promise, I promise I'd never leave you '. he said sincerely.

'It's.....'.

*****

She took a sharp breath and tightly closed both her eyes. And just like a hurricane, the memories came rushing in.

'It's about six month after my mother passed away...'. She started...

<<Flashback<<

She wiped the string of sweat that was dripping from her forehead to the corner of her left eye and sigh. She grabbed the bucket beside her and emitted the hot water in it. Finally standing still she looked up at the moon which was the only source of light she has. It should be around 9pm in the night.

She grabbed the bucket and went inside the unroofed toilet to have a bath. She was determined to have a bath after the long day she had. It was pretty exhausting and she thought she needed to have something relax her muscles. Atleast that way she could have a sound sleep.

Inna Saude went to her parent's house the day earlier. Well, that was what she told malam Kabiru that her mother is sick but Maryam had a feeling she was lying. Perhaps she's at her friend's house Hajiya Zuwaira.

Eventhough it was of no use, she couldn't help but be worried that zee baby hadn't come back from where ever she went. She remembered when she saw her earlier getting inside some man's car. She wasn't supirise seeing it was another guy this time. It was always different men every time. Sometimes she would be away for some days . Maryam didn't want to start imagining the possible things that'd happen when they're away.

She shook the thoughts away and used her wrapper to drench the dripples of water on her body and then wore dry clothes. She noiselessly fixed everything back in place and lied down to welcome the sleep that has been bugging her.

Hardly a minute passed when she heard inaudible noices coming from outside. The sound of glass lightly hitting the wall followed by pools of insignificant blabberings gave her the confirmation it was Yaya Sule.

'Hes drunk again!' She thought silently as she shut her eyes once again. Suddenly a question popped in her head. Where did he get the money to buy liquor?

She recalled during the day when he was making a fuss with zee baby to give him some money and she refused which resulted in him almost beating her.

The answer is clear; he stole the money. Yes, Yaya Sule steals and it ones resulted in him being beaten and disgraced by other men of the village. Nevertheless he still didn't stop the sinful and disgraceful act.

Despite the unpleasant sounds outside Maryam's room she still managed to get some sleep. Well that was before the door to her room was banged open and a drunk Yaya Sule stood at the door step. Maryam still ignored him thinking he was looking for his room and will go when notices the one he's in isn't his.

Fumbling footsteps made way close to where she's laid down. She opened her eyes and stood up. Clumsily looking at him, She pointed her finger at the door.