TWENTY-FOUR

"Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond."

~Rumi.

*****

Much to her horror, were some faint cries. At first, it felt like it was in her sleep until she caught the blurred outline of a figure near her face. Maryam scrambled to her feet, blinking the traces of sleep away. A relieved sigh eluded her lips as she washed in amusement, a white chicken sashayed away, uttering along profanities loudly.

Recalling how she ended up in an uncompleted building was beyond Maryam's brain ability, all she could remember was walking through the cold night with tears blurred vision. And telling herself, she doesn't deserve a chance.

Standing in the middle of the deserted road, Maryam stared longingly at where she came from. Hopping to see Zeenah run up to her, with a silly smile and tell her she has made it too. But the more she stare, the more the little fate she has fades away. Even the trees sway mockingly for the low breeze, it's as if they're chanting 'your alone, and you'll always be' to her ears.

She thought of Zeenah, What is she doing currently? Has she eaten breakfast? Was she being punished for what she did? Was she taken back into the cell? Has she taken her medications? These and thousand other questions tugged at her heart as she turned, backing Zeenah, everything and everyone else and took off.

*****

The sun which appeared first as a tiny ball at the horizon had slowly begun to hide behind the shadow of clouds, decreasing in size. Maryam gazed at the pinkish imaginary colours, purple was hiding behind, reminded of all the times she watched the sunset alone. At times with Malik. Doing that was one of the little list of things she loved and with Malik beside her, it was exceptionally beautiful.

Watching it now, Maryam could only picture grey and black strokes, painted and spread across the sky and dulled by the upcoming night. Just like how she felt, dark and gloomy.

Her gaze drifted back to her surroundings, and once again she was torned between taking a left or right turn. After much thoughts, she took a right, observing it being much clearear.

After approximately five minutes of trekking, Maryam increased her pace as she heard some faint noises. Fast walking turned into running and soon enough she started spotting signs of life. Maryam grinned triumphantly, for a second not believing she has actually made it. She skipped past stalls of clothes, flowers and what not. The place was bustling with activities, as everyone was in a mission to go somewhere or do something. Bikes zoom past traffic and the loud blarring of car honks and foul words exchanged between drivers threaten to pierce one's eardrum open.

Maryam closed her eyes, humming as the cold breeze hit her gently. Passer-bys might think she's insane, but they'll surely do the same if they were in her shoes, or more. Nothing beats the feeling of freedom. But they wouldn't know anyways, because they haven't gone through what she did.

Every nod of acknowledgement, or a kind smile aimed at her made her jubilant as she roamed about the busy streets of porthacourt aimlessly, thinking of ways to get back home.

Her tired legs took her to a narrow alleyway, which beside it was a small shop selling cakes and other pastries. She released her bag of clothes and it felt with a thud. As she lied down, using it for a pillow, Maryam drew a conclusion of finding a job. That way, she can raise income to pay transportation fees and go home.

*****

The next morning, Maryam was gradually woken up by nudges, a wrinkled face came into view as she opened her eyes. She rubbed them, watching the old lady in puzzlement.

"Hello, I'm Jane and I own this shop." The old woman pointed at the pastry shop. "Why is a young girl like you sleeping in the streets?" She questioned, her lips paused in melancholy. A little girl like her is supposed to be at home, wrapped in the comfort of her family as she focuses on her studies to build a promising future. Instead here is she, lost and cluelessly wandering in this world. This cruel world.

Jane's heart clenched as she observed her tattered clothes. Her puffy eyes which had seen much more than a sixteen year old should and had shed tears to last a lifetime. Her skeletal body commenting the lack of food in her system.

"Come." Jane beckoned at her with a pitiful smile. Maryam went rigid for a while, the acceleration of her heartbeat striked the fear which kicked in her muscles. All she wanted was a job, not to mingle with anyone.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you." She noticed the horror in the little girl's eyes and her heart squeezed even further, if possible.

In the seventy eight years she had been blessed to live, she had witnessed and heared many things. Some had left her eyes glossy with unshed tears while some had kicked the tears out. Others left her wide awake all night, with her head in hand, deep in thoughts. Some had made her question humanity whilst others made her flick through the dictionary, doubting the meaning of the word itself.

Now, she could only ponder what story gazed back at her.

With reluctant steps, Maryam followed Jane into her shop. The scent of various flavours wafted the air. She inhaled greedily, letting it soothe her rigid nerves. Her gaze travelled upon shelves and shelves of cakes, each sat proud, layered with various vibrant colours of frosting, ranging in different inches of length and size, Maryam was left stunned and in love.

Over the week, Maryam sweeps and cleans Jane's shop. In return, she was fed and paid two-hundred Naira daily. She still sleeps in the  alleyway although Jane had offered her shelter in her house. After what happened to her, she knew better than to trust a single soul again.

*****

It was a sunny Monday when Jane broke the sad news to her. With a heavy heart, she had told Maryam of her deteriorating health and her inability to run the shop anymore.

"I'm so sorry Mariam, I wish I could help you but I'll be relocating close to where I'll be getting medical assistance."

"I'm so sorry Mariam." Silent tears slid down Jane's eyes as she searched in desperation for a reaction on Maryam's face.

"Thank you." Muttered Maryam monotonically. Before she could fathom what she's doing, she found herself out of Jane's shop, out in the street. 

*****

Do over look the typographical errors, I know there's alot of them. There might be very slow/ or no updates from now on because I've resumed school.

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you!

Assalamu_Alaikum.

Aeeeshatuhxx