Breaking 9 - Ailene's Journal

*Arlene's POV*

Though we were together on our way to the bar, I had to wait a few more minutes in the car before following Mago inside. We agreed to keep our situation a secret and this is our way of concealing the fact that we live in the same roof.

"Hi," I greeted Dessa who was cleaning the shot glasses.

"Seems like your getting it on," she said.

"What do you mean?" I pretended not to understand.

"Cut the crap, Arlene," she uttered, "I know Mago too much that your tactic of entering the bar a few minutes after he entered won't fool me."

I didn't answer and lowered my look so she continued, "I like you."

That made me look at her and I was relieved when she continued, "I like you as my flairing partner. You're the only one who can juggle along with me."

We were surrounded with silence before she spoke again, "tell me, are you comfortable with me?"

I shook my head as an answer so she spoke again, "let me guess. Did they tell you I am a tomboy?"

"Are you?"

She laughed and then asked, "is that what Mago told you?"

"Actually," I stop to check the surroundings before saying, "it's Quinn."

"First," she crossed her arms, "I am not a tomboy. I just act like this because I grew up with boys. My mother died when I was born. My dad raised me until his untimely death. Since then, my elder brothers took care of me."

"Second,"she continued, "I intended for them to think that I am a tomboy. It is my way of shrugging off Mago's advances."

"How could you resist Mago?" I unintentionally asked.

"I just used my head," she pointed to her head, "and I have a secret that always reminded me to keep away from him."

"Secret?"

"Don't ask," she said but I forced her.

"Okay," she sighed, "let's talk inside"

I followed her to the worder's locker room where she took something from her locker.

"The truth, I really planned to become a worker here," she explained, "because I want to be able to get near Mago so I can give this to him."

"Then why is it still here with you?" I asked.

"Because I don't think he'll value this more than I valued it," she sighed, "he does not need to know anything about Ailene."

"Ailene?" my heart skipped a beat when I heard the name. I did not expect her to know Ailene.

"Remember that I told you I have elder brothers? One of them is a policeman. One day, he brought Ailene to our place. He said Ailene runaway from her parents because they are trying to make her abort her baby. Because of that, my brother decided to take care of her while she is on her way. We became close and eventually, she began a romantic relationship with my brother. It was too late when we learned the real reason of her parents. They were just actually trying to stop her pregnancy so she can continue with ther radiation therapy. She runaway to save the baby but in return, it jeopardized her health. Before her death, she made me promise that I will give this journal to Mago," she explained.

The journal triggered my curiousity.

"Would you like me to give the journal to him?" I offered.