There's Always a Catch

The seven teens were all sitting in the living room, all eagerly awaiting the arrival of Dumbledore. Hermione, her nose in a book, Blaise and Ginny, reading a Quidditch magazine, Pansy and Luna, discussing the latest fashion, and Harry and Draco immersed in a serious game of Wizard's Chess. Every now and then you'd hear Draco chuckle and Harry grunt in frustration whenever Harry would make a bad move. Ron was upstairs in his room, napping off the effects of his mother's stinging hex, along with Ginny's Bat Boogey Hex. It had been quite a show. Ginny had floo'ed her mother and after retelling the events to Molly, she stepped through the fireplace, reached for her son's ear and dragged him into the kitchen. After an hour of yelling and threats of not living long enough the see his next birthday, Molly had then made Ron clean up the kitchen, without magic, then was sent off to his room. Molly had come over and spoken to Blaise, and after an extensive motherly searching for wounds, which had Blaise feeling less then comfortable, she hugged him tightly and welcomed him to the family. Harry had leaned in close and whispered that Molly was the least of his worries, it's Ginny's older brother's that were going to be hard to impress. Blaise merely smiled and said he had everything under control, a slight evil grin and a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

After the delicious lunch Molly had made, the teens proceeded to the living room, which they were still in at the moment.

" When did Dumbledore say he was going to be here?" Pansy sighed, tossing aside her magazine.

" Dammit!" Harry shouted as once again Draco was victorious. He stood up from the table, having played enough, " I'm not entirely sure Pansy. He said he'd be here after lunch."

" But that could be anytime! I'm going crazy waiting. Why don't we just go to Hogwarts, get the sword ourselves? That would save us all loads of time, instead of sitting here, doing nothing?"

" If you were to do that, Miss Parkinson, I'm afraid you'd be wasting your time, seeing as I'm here and not at Hogwarts," Dumbledore chuckled.

Hermione jumped up from the couch, tossing her book aside. " Professor, we didn't see you floo in."

" You wouldn't have Miss Granger. I used the front door." He laughed, and fixed his moon shape glasses.

" Pardon my bluntness Professor, but I don't see the Sword of Gryffindor. Didn't you bring it?" asked Blaise, looking around the room for it.

" Ahh yes, the sword. Well there seems to have been a slight complication pertaining to the sword. It appears to have been taken, by whom, I have an inkling, but to where I don't know."

Harry's eyes bugged out of his head. " It was taken? How is that even possible? I thought it was safe in your office?"

" It was, however I didn't believe it to be safe anymore. Many people knew it was with me, so I had taken it to be hidden." Dumbledore explained, walking towards the chessboard Draco had set up.

" Who did you leave it with for safe keeping Professor? Maybe they might know what happened to it? We need that sword as soon as possible." Ginny asked, coming to stand next to Blaise, slipping her hand into his, squeezing tight. Blaise turned his head and smiled at her, squeezing back.

" Why Hagrid, of course," Dumbledore answered, scratching his chin as he moved a piece, starting a game with Draco.

" Hagrid? The Hogwarts grounds keeper? You trusted THAT oaf with the Sword of Gryffindor? Why in the world would you do such a thing?" Draco sputtered, moving his knight and staring in disbelief at the Headmaster.

" Mister Malfoy, I would trust Hagrid with my life," Dumbledore said, making another move.

" I would highly suggest changing that idea after he lost the sword," muttered Draco, looking at the board before moving a piece.

Hermione came and stood infront of the Headmaster, " so what do you suggest we do then Professor?"

" A visit to Hagrid seems like a good place to start, Miss Granger. I'm, however, going to return to Hogwarts to oversee the care of Lucius and the tracking of Bellatrix." Dumbledore suggested, while walking over the floo. He tossed a handful of floo powder, but before he steeped into the flames, he turned around and said with a huge grin on his face, " I do believe that's checkmate Mister Malfoy," and with a roaring flame, he vanished.

" Wait.... what?" Draco looked down at the board and stared at the broken pieces of what was once his king. " How did that senile old fool do that?" He asked, scratching his head in confusion.

" Beats me, but I must remember to ask him about that later," Harry laughed, then turned his head to Hermione, " off to Hagrid's then I suppose?"

She nodded her head, " off to Hagrid's."

~~~~~~~~~~

" Merlin, it smells like a dead Hippogriff's arse out here, how can the oaf stand it?" Draco complained, as he pulled up the collar of his T-shirt up over his nose, attempting to block as much of the smell as possible.

Hermione clucked her tongue in disapproval, " he lives out near the forest, and he also tends to the magical creatures. What did you expect it to smell like out here, roses? Chocolates?" The group chuckled as they followed her up the large three stairs to Hagrid's front door.

Draco merely squinted his eyes and shook his head as he grasped the collar of his shirt, which was still up around his nose, and holding it in place, he jogged to catch up.

Harry smiled happily as he rapped on the enormous door a couple of times. Nothing. He knocked again. Still nothing. He turned back to Hermione and Ron, who merely shrugged their shoulders. He frowned and knocked again and leaned his ear up against the door. He heard quiet shuffling, and wondered what was going on.

" Hagrid! It's Harry, Ron and Hermione. We've come to visit. It's important."

The shuffling became louder, when suddenly there was a loud click, and the door opened, Hagrid poking his large head out.

" 'Ello everyone. Happy to see ya, glad to see your all still in one piece, but I'm in no fit mood for entertaining company today. Perhaps another time. Goodnight," he said shakily and went to close the door when Draco stuck his foot in the way.

" Perhaps you don't know, or didn't hear, but this happens to be important. Now if you will, allow us entry inside, away from this blasted terrible smell." Draco gagged and pushed himself inside.

" Nice to see the impending doom lingering over your father hasn't changed you in the slightest Draco," Blaise laughed, taking a seat in a large chair, with Ginny sitting beside him.

" One of my better qualities, I assure you mate." He stopped for a minute, took a quick sniff and ripped his collar back up around his nose. " I swear, it's even worse in here. The hell with this, I'll be outside." He walked fast over to the front door, and swiftly made a quick exit.

" Now what's this all about, you guys? Why suddenly visit me? From what Professor Dumbledore has told me, you guys are busy with an important mission," Hagrid questioned, walking over to a window and peering out, looking around suspiciously.

" We are Hagrid, that's why we're here," Hermione answered, looking worriedly at Ron and Harry, then back to Hagrid.

" Hagrid, are you expecting some company?" Ron asked, raising an eyebrow at Hagrid's weird behaviour.

" Well no, not really."

" Are you in some sort of trouble?" Harry asked, his fingers brushing lightly against his wand in his back pocket.

" Suppose you could say that. But it's nothing to get your little selves involved with. Forget I said anything. Now, why is it you've come, and make it quick, I've got things to attend to."

" It's about the Sword of Gryffindor. Dumbledore said you had it, then it was taken. We need to know who took it and where." Ginny pleaded, her big blue eyes, wide with fake innocence, which she knew Hagrid couldn't refuse. Hermione had seen her use it a couple of times on him to escape detention when she was late for class a couple of times. Hagrid was too much of a softie for his own good.

Hagrid spun around quick. " Now why would you be needin that?"

" Can't say, I'm sorry Hagrid, but if it would make you feel better, we could get Professor Dumbledore here and he could vouch for us." Hermione said, walking over to the front door.

" No, no, no need for that. I believe ya, however, I can't tell ya where the sword is,"

" You have got to be kidding me!" Draco shouted from somewhere outside. Blaise snorted into his cup of tea Ginny had poured for him.

" Not that I don't want too, just that I have no clue where it is. It was taken from me, in the middle of the night. Alls I know is that the thieves took it into the forest."

Harry sighed, defeated. He really hated going into that forest. Ever since first year, when he served detention, he had his first encounter with Voldemort. He avoided the forest whenever he could, at all costs.

" However, I do know who took the sword. They never get involved with mortal problems, however they will do anything to stop the rise of another war and go to any lengths to keep it from happening. Another war would possibly deplete their food source. To go after the sword, you would have to venture into the forest, deep into the forest." Harry sighed and shivered. Luna rubbed his back soothingly.

" Who has the sword Hagrid?" Ron asked, Pansy coming up beside him, grasping his hand tight.

" The Vampires!"

" Bloody hell," Draco shouted once again, while Blaise dropped his cup and Hermione's eyes bulged out of their sockets.

~~~~~

It was quiet. Too quiet for Hermione's liking. Where were the Centaurs? The other creatures that called The Forbidden Forest home? She squeezed Draco's hand tighter in fear, looking around quickly, hoping her new Veela senses would help out, yet it was too dark, and nothing was making a sound. That was never a good sign.

Draco looked down at his throbbing hand in Hermione's vice-grip, and back up to her face. He could hear her heart hammering away in her chest, and it caused a lump to appear in his throat. He cleared his throat as innocently as possible, her erratic heartbeat making him relive New Years Eve all over again. Sweaty, naked, sexy images of Hermione, writhing and crying out his name springing to mind, making his blood boil and venture south.

' Well if this isn't the worst place to be thinking about those things. Might be wise to stay focused. I can get back to those thoughts later, at home, in private,' he mused to himself, quietly chuckling to himself.

" You know, once. Just one bloody time, I wish our little escapades didn't have us gallivanting all over hell and high water, with no knowledge of where, what or who we're looking for, and instead someone drew us a bloody map with strict-to-the-point, step by step instructions to get us from beginning to end with little to no danger, pain, or possible death. Just once!" Ron sighed as he flung his right leg over a fallen tree stump, brought his other leg over and slid to the ground.

" Now where would the fun be in that? Now shut up Weasley before you get most of us killed!" Draco whispered angrily, glaring at the red head.

" What do you mean by ' most of us' Malfoy?"

" He means those without Veela traits. Those without the super hearing, eyesight and speed. We're not talking about duelling Death Eaters here Weasley, we're talking about Vampires."

" And that means....?"

" It means beings who are faster, stronger, and can't be killed by a simple killing curse. If you can't see, hear them coming, or are without strength to at least fight them off long enough to escape, you'll be dead in mere seconds. They're not exactly known for calmly sitting down and discussing matters over tea and coming to an agreement Ron, they will slit your throat and drink you dry before you can scream. Now quiet everyone." Hermione huffed and turned her head back around searching her surroundings.

Ron sighed quietly to himself and took a step. His foot landed on a stray branch causing it to snap loudly, echoing through the dark recess of the forest.

" Son of a bitch,"

Suddenly, many whooshs were heard all around the teens, and they knew they were screwed. Hermione motioned to the rest of group to throw down their wands in surrender and kneel on the ground. It was a sing of both defeat and respect. She hoped that by doing so and by sheer luck, they may have caught the Vampire coven on a good day and might just leave with their lives.

" In all my years, I've never known food to come walking so willingly into my forest. Like a lamb to the slaughter, I must say, I am greatly pleased," the silkiness of the male voice floated from the trees and seemed to surround Hermione, caress her. She felt her pulse quicken in both fear and anticipation.

" And never has there ever been dessert brought either," the male laughed, and stepped from the blackness. Hermione's breath caught in her throat. He was glorious, like a dark angel. He was pale, yet his skin looked soft to the touch, though Hermione knew it was tougher then diamonds. His eyes a neon blue, electric, piercing your very soul, hypnotic. He had black hair, cut short and shinning. He stood nearly a foot taller then Hermione, and glanced down at her, smiling widely, showing the pearly whites of his fangs.

" Such beauty, so young, seems such a waste to kill." He lightly dragged his knuckles down her left cheek, the chill from his cold skin leaving goose bumps in their wake. He leaned down close and whispered in her ear, " Do you want to die?"

Hermione, with her head bowed, sneered. Her felt her eyes become dark, her fangs growing, and growled low in her chest, " Do you?"

She suddenly lounged, jumping quick from her place on the ground, landing on the vampire's chest, knocking him on his back. Draco, Blaise and Ginny each took the other three vampire's. Draco had his by the throat, growling loudly while holding her high in the air. Ginny had the other vampire woman on her stomach, face in the dirt with her foot placed firmly on the vampire's back. Blaise had his arm wrapped tightly around the vampire man neck, pressing the vampire's back flush against his stomach, while both were on their knee's.

" What the bloody hell just happened?" shouted Ron, who, to his human eye only saw blurs of colors.

Luna leaned in, her eyes still trained on the scene before them and whispered, " I think we won?"

" Huh," was his only response.

Hermione growled at the Vampire, baring her fangs threateningly. The Vampire furrowed his brow in question and leaned his head forward,

" Kin?"

" Not bloody likely," snorted Blaise.

" If I let you up, you will not run, or I promise you, this night shall be your last." Hermione compromised, to which the Vampire nodded. She slowly climbed off and the Vampire got to his feet quick, brushing off the dirt and fixing his clothes.

" Allow me to introduce myself. I, am Vincent, leader of the clan in these parts. If you don't mind me asking, if you are not kin, what are you?"

The woman who Draco had been holding, now made her way in a circle around him seductively, leaning in close, inhaling deep. " Veela, master, and this one smells delicious. Wouldn't mind some time playing with him, he is quite handsome," she purred, to which Draco grinned at Hermione, who merely rolled her eyes.

" Wait till he opens his mouth," Ginny said snidely. Draco turned and stuck out his tongue at her, she only smiled in response.

The Vampire Leader turned his nose up in disgust, " Veela, pfft, disgusting creatures,"

" Pardon me?" Blaise huffed, hurt. " You, one who lives off of living human blood, walks in darkness and is physically dead, have the nerve to call us disgusting? Give your head a shake mate!"

Vincent chuckled darkly, " Perhaps disgusting was the wrong word. Imitators, pretenders, was more the word I was looking for. You look like us, have the same abilities as us, yet aren't quite us. Your smell is different, all wrong," he replied, shaking his head.

" Just because we don't smell like rotting corpses, doesn't mean we smell horrible," Ginny lashed out.

The Vampire woman by her side nudged her with her elbow jokingly, " but that's the best part, my dear."

Vincent waved his hand in the dismissively, " I think the real question here is, why would eight young ones, four of which human, and..," he licked his lips hungrily, " ripe, wonder so deep into this forest, are you not aware of the dangers that lurk within it?"

" Oi! You keep your fangs to yourself. We are not on the menu. We are not your dinner, you leech!" Pansy stated, her hands on her hips.

" Yes Vincent, we are aware, we are students here. We have come looking for something, something I heard you have, and we'd like it back. It's important." Hermione asked politely.

" And this thing your looking for would be.....?"

" Merlin, this is getting old quick! Look we're here for the Sword of Gryffindor. We know you stole it from Hagrid and we want it back. If you don't comply, I won't refrain from stopping Draco from ripping your throat out as I'm sure he wants to do," Harry yelled, seemingly pissed off at the Vampire's stalling.

Vincent chuckled darkly, " Watch your tongue Chosen One, I'm not one of your disciples. Yes I'm aware of who you are Harry Potter, and you had better realize who your talking to. I will have your jugular laying on the ground and drinking happily from your throat before you could blink if I so wish, and you won't always have your Veela bodyguards around to protect you." he growled at Harry, who paled visibly.

He turned back around to Hermione, who was staring at Vincent with an eyebrow raised, " Now little Veela, I am a coven leader, I will not be talked down to by a mortal, but forgive my behaviour. I am aware of what you seek, and you would be correct, we did take it, and we do have it. Come, back to our home, I will have someone retrieve it for you while we dine, well you eight will. I will not take no for an answer." Vincent turned around and began walking into the forest, the other three Vampire's following suit.

Draco came and stood beside Hermione, " Great, I'm starving. What do you think Vampire's serve for dinner?"

Hermione snorted, " if that raven haired harlot woman had her way, it would be you!" she replied and began following the Vampire's into the forest.

" Why Miss Granger, I do belive I detect a hint of jealously!" Blaise chuckled, while Ginny jabbed him in the side with her elbow, giving him a smile.

" Oooo, how lovely, dinner with Vampire's. My father is never going to believe this," Luna cheered, clapping her hands and ran after the girls.

Ron, Pansy and Harry hung back.

" Seriously Potter, I question your mental state. That girl's a loon.I love her, but a loon!" Pansy joked.

" Yeah, but she's my loon!" Harry grinned at her, and the three began walking, trying to keep up with the rest!

~~~~

" Alright, how in the bloody hell has a Manor existed in The Forbidden Forest, and in all our years of being here, has no one ever stumbled upon it?" Ron shouted, his eyes bulging out of his head.

" Dumbledore knows we are here." Vincent answered. The eight teens gaped at the Vampire. " What? Oh don't look so surprised, we made a deal. We leave the students and staff alone, no killing of mortals and we can live here and hunt animals in peace."

" You think he would have mentioned it at some point that there were Vampire's in here," Ron mumbled.

" You are my welcomed guests. While you stay here, I promise, no harm will come to you. Now come, you must been hungry and tired. There are plenty of spare rooms for you to sleep in, stay as long as you like," Vincent offered, waving his hand and the grand door opened. He walked inside and was immediately joined by another Vampire male. He talked quietly, the others unable to hear, requesting the other to fetch the sword, Hermione guessed, while the teens followed Vincent further into the Manor, turning left and entering the dining room. A long oak wooden table, which looked to seat about twenty people, welcomed the teens who each took a seat and with a clap of his hand, Vincent had food appear. The smell reaching the teens noses, making their stomachs grumble, it had been awhile since they ate a decent meal.

" Please, help yourselves, enjoy!" Vincent announced.

The eight teens looked at each other, and began devouring everything in sight, manners not included. They didn't need to be told twice!

Hermione swallowed what was in her mouth and glanced at Vincent, who was sitting at the head of the table, his hands clasped in front of him, a gentle smile gracing his face. " Aren't you going to join us Vincent?"

" Little Veela, I don't eat the same as you. We Vampires don't require nourishment from food any longer." Vincent smiled warmly at Hermione.

Hermione bowed her head in embarrassment. She could feel the heat from her blush creeping up her neck ad cheeks. How could she have forgotten? Brightest witch of her age, indeed!

" Then why do you have all this wonderful, delicious food, if you no longer need it?" Pansy asked, wiping her mouth.

" For our guests, of course. It's not just Vampire's who grace this Manor, Miss."

" You have guests that are mortal?"

" How do you think we get our supply of fresh, warm blood?"

Blaise stared questioningly at Vincent, " How, if I may, do you get your supply?"

Vincent glared hard at the insolent Veela, " if your suggesting that we lure them in with promises of good food and warm beds, then kill them and drain them dry, your sadly mistaken. All who enter here are willing donors, and leave with more then their lives. Some with money, some with our blessing, whatever they please. They deserve it after giving us such a gift. Now, I need to hunt before the sun arises, I must take my leave. You are welcome to anything in this Manor." He was interrupted by the Vampire male who was there when they first arrived. He leaned close to Vincent and whispered. Vincent shook his head in understanding and smiled at the group.

" Seems your stay here won't be long after all. The sword will be here in a few hours. I suggest you take that time to freshen up and rest. While your Veela smell is over powering, your are starting to smell like one of us," Vincent laughed and retreated out of the room. The teens just stared at each other in disbelief, while Ron leaned forward and sniffed himself. He recoiled quickly, clearing his throat.

After the teens had eaten, they made their way to the grand staircase and took it to the top. Draco, holding Hermione's hand turned to the group, " We'll each go two per room, guarantee our odds of safety. We'll meet back here in two hours, sound good?" he asked everyone, to which they agreed and spilt up in groups of two.

Ginny grabbed Blaise's hand and led him into the first empty room they found, and flopped on the plush bed, tired. She leaned up on the elbows and glanced at Blaise, who was busy transfiguring some new clothes for them.

" I believe I'm going to take a long, long hot bath," she exclaimed and stood up, walking towards the adjoining bathroom. She grabbed the sides of her shirt and yanked it up over her head, and heard Blaise's intake of breath. She looked back, over her shoulder and said, " And I don't see me doing it alone. We haven't got much time my love, so I suggest you hurry in here." With a wink, she disappeared behind the bathroom door. Blaise stood there, mouth agape. His mate was one little minx when she wanted to be. He smiled, and rushed to hurry with his clothes as he ran to the bathroom, nearly tripping over his own feet.

~~~~

Two hours later, the eight teens were standing in the grand foyer, all bathed, dressed and tummies full. All the men had a goofy grin, the women glowing and Vincent smiled to himself. He had heard the screams outside in the forest, blast his heightened hearing.

" I hope your stay here was to your liking. I hope this won't be the last I'll be seeing of you." Vincent asked, tilting his head to the side.

Hermione stepped forward, Draco beside her. " I hope not, but Vincent, where is the sword?"

" It's being brought up at this moment... ahh here it is!" He exclaimed, reaching forward as the male Vampire handed him the sword. He held it up, the jewels embedded in the hilt gleaming in the light. " This is quite a magnificent piece of equipment, you do know what your doing, don't you? She will come at you, she will be ruthless, you will be alone in this little Veela," he frowned at Hermione as she took the sword from him and slid it into her bag, which held her indetectable extendable charm.

" Are you claiming to be on her side Vincent? That I shall meet you once again, under different circumstances, ending in one's death?" She asked, a little sad to be losing a friend.

" Let's just say, I find myself and my coven having a change of heart as of late. However you see if, you have my respects. Maybe we shall see each other again, little Veela, and you shall where my loyalties lie! Until then, my friends, I bid you farewell, the sun is rising, I must depart. Good luck," and with that he shook each boys hand, and kissed each girls hand, and departed up the stairs.

Draco turned to the group, " Grimmauld Place then?"

Harry came up, shaking his head, " We should go to Hogwarts. Check on your father and meet with Dumbledore."

Draco nodded his head. If he was being honest with himself, he was worried about his father, his mother also. He wanted to see him again. " Alright, Hogwarts it is, but we shouldn't stay long, we still have a Horcrux to destroy and to find the whereabouts of Bellatrix."

" Off we go," Hermione chanted, laughing and headed out of the door, followed by her friends. They walked for sometime in the woods, the sun gleaming through the canopy tops. After about an hour, they stopped, all exhausted.

" Did anyone think to ask Vincent which way to go, or are we lost in the forest?" asked Pansy.

The teens just tried to look everywhere but her in embarrassment.

This is the last chapter everyone.