Rise Of Pandora: LIII. Atlas Shrugged

"."

-

XIII. Stoic

Looking around the silent room, Atlas shrugged. He yawned and stretched his arms. He was tired. Many of the constituents in the room were tired, Pontus was visibly resting his eyes. Atlas absorbed this knowledge and stood up.

"I believe we have done fairly well with our discussions. We've likely been speaking for hours and we should save the remainder of the conversation for the day to come."

He turned around and looked at the noblemen, "You three especially. Rest on your choices because tomorrow after we've finished discussing what should be done, we will set out to the two other islands. The sooner we set out, the fewer casualties will come about. Baccus was correct in that judgment. We will conclude tomorrow. If anyone has more to say, speak with me in my chamber. Pontus, I would still like to speak with—"

"Hold on," Alastor interrupted.

"You spoke of messenger birds earlier. What if one comes but we are not here to receive it?" He questioned aloud.

Atlas turned around to look at Alastor.

"I should be the one to stay and maintain the mental connection with either you or Pontus and inform you if we receive any news," Alastor shared.

"It is true, but I personally believe that we are better off united." Atlas sighed to himself.

"Sleep on it, Alastor. Tell me your thoughts when we wake," Atlas said while walking out of the room.

"I suggest you all find rest quickly. You may rest in this room if you all would like. Tomorrow and the days to follow will be difficult times."

Atlas, with a face long fatigued by stress and worry, walked out of the room.

"Pontus, if you would join me." His voice echoed from the distance.

Pontus, still deeply upset, followed. There was something in his eyes that showed his resolve. He followed the elder Purple Man out into the hallway and into Atlas' private room. The others watched them leave. Alastor watched very anxiously.

"What do you think is going to happen between them?" Baccus asked Alastor.

Alastor moved closer to Baccus, "Honestly, Baccus. Who is to know. This isn't the first time this has happened. It isn't just Pontus. We've all been at the precipice, the narrow edge, where nothing seems to matter anymore. But, lately, with Pontus, I think he's past the point of return. He's suffered a lot, we surely know it. I love that man with all of my heart. But if he passes that point of no return, then there is nothing I or even Atlas can do to bring him back. He'll have to return on his own. Do not fret. For now, all you need to be concerned about is resting your body and mind for tomorrow."

Alastor ran his fingers through Baccus' hair. Pulling Baccus close, tears began welling in Alastor's eyes as he embraced Baccus with his shaky arms. Alastor kept his head down so Baccus could not see him tearing. He hid his face as he stood up before leaving the room and disappearing into the vacuous hallways.

It appeared all the Purple Men had left them. This did nothing but worsen their fears for the day to come. Nerves and chills were coursing through all of their minds, Gaijin included. Baccus looked around the room and was certain of it. With the Purple Men out of the room, the people appeared lost and increasingly nervous. They had not even realized it had been raining, but they could hear it now as the silence took over in the building. They discerned the many droplets striking the castle's walls and many roofs. There were no windows in the room to look through, but they knew it was surely heavy rainfall.