Rise Of Pandora: LXV. Who Are We

"."

-

XVII. Stoic

"It's worse than before. I sense at least five thousand—no seven thousand. They're overrunning Charron. Wait! I sense even larger presences! Probably Shadowbirds! It feels like it and they're flying this direction. Everyone stay alert!"

"It isn't just that Pontus. Focus and sense beyond the second island. They are in the first island, too, and there are even more of them there," Atlas advised.

"Damn it! You're right, Atlas. It's probably twice as many than in Charron. There's no way Roth and his people could have evacuated everyone in time. Everyone, take a deep breath, cover your faces and hold on to each other. I will not lie, some of you may lose consciousness for a few seconds."

In one rapid burst, Pontus used his aura to blast them beyond imaginable speeds. They were jetting so quickly, four lost consciousness almost immediately. All three Rare Men spread out their aura to keep the people stable and reduce the strains on their bodies. They were skidding across the sombre horizon so fleetly and suddenly, they could feel their skin wobbling, their stomachs convulsing, and their eyes tearing up within moments. They were going too fast. The sounds of their shouts could not even make it past the constant buffering of air. They were like tiny insects caught inside a furious comet.

They all felt this way, all except for the Purple Men, of course; their keen eyes so calculated and sharp, their minds and bodies so matured and imperishable. To them, there was no noticeable strain to the body, there was little show of fear or discomfort in their expressions, nothing but ice-cold focus and strength of character. Pontus kept this up for quite some time, his eyes steady and his resolve unshifting.

He didn't go too fast as to injure the rest of the party, but expeditiously enough to where he would be on the second island in much less times. Although he was going unnaturally fast, his aura still protected the others, keeping them in place and curing any obnoxious feeling they were most certainly developing.

"Father! I can sense their presence much better now," said Alastor. "It's bad just like you said." Alastor, though, equally capable as his fellow brethren, was not the most choice when it came to matters such as sensing presences at incredibly vast distance as his brothers were.

"I would go faster, but the others won't be able to survive it."

"It is fine, Pontus. Keep going." Atlas urged.

"Damn these beasts! Where in the hell did they all come from?" Then Alastor thought back for a moment. He remembered the Shadowbirds and Deathknights they saw while in Aeryngrave.

"Aye, Pontus. Remember when we were in Aeryngrave searching for Father. They were there then, too."

Pontus nodded his head in a manner that suggested he had come to the same conclusion as his brother.

Atlas gave the same nod following Pontus.

Brothers, I can the see the shore. We're going to be entering through the town of Ashview.

"Yeah, I see it," Pontus related calmly.

Flying across for a few more seconds, they were already over the burning sea, the boundary that separated Atland and Khastria, the second island.

It had been several decades since the smoldering steam of the burning sea had flowed across Atlas's flesh. It felt good. He almost forgot how it felt. He had almost forgotten many things in his long endeavor of isolation where he'd only be in the presence of often no more than ten choice and trusted individuals at a time.
It had been a serious thought in his mind ever since he had resolved to show himself to the world again.