Chapter 4

November 2018
13 Weeks

I tell my work I have a doctors appointment and head straight to my midwife appointment. I sit for an hour and answer questions about my alcohol consumption, my use of recreational drugs, my family history of heart disease and diabetes. I also attempt to answer these questions about the babies father but it becomes apparent that I know nothing about him and Kathy abandons the questions half way through. Opting only to ask about me and my family.

"If you do chose to tell the father, we can come back and answer these at a later date" She smiles as she closes my notes and hands me them back.

"These are yours to keep through the duration of the pregnancy. They must go everywhere with you, to every appointment, every scan and even to the hospital when you go into labour"

After a beat she asks "Did you have a chance to look over the leaflets?"

I nod in confirmation.

"And...?"

"I'm not interested in what they had to offer." I nod sombrely.

"Ok" Kathy nods "Well your next appointment is your scan. I'll send you out an appointment card with your next appointment with me which will be when you're 14 weeks so won't be far away."

"Ok" I gather my stuff together and pop my notes in my bag.

"Best of luck with the scan. And remember I'm just a phone call away" She reminds me as I disappear out the door and back to work.

*

"Nora, can I see you in my office" My boss, Amanda, asks the moment I step off the elevator.

"Of course" I look up to see her standing beside reception. She spins and her heels click on the wooden floor as she strides to her office.

Shit. She knows I'm pregnant. I frantically worry as I follow her. How does she know? Who told her? Did someone see my going in to the doctors? Maybe I'm showing already I panic as I look down at my flat stomach. There's definitely no obvious signs of a baby there.

"Please, have a seat" Amanda gestures to the chairs on the opposite side of her desk.

"Gerry Fortnam has been on the phone this morning" Amanda looks at me sternly.

Oh thank god it's about the bid.

Amanda's never been a woman I was afraid of, but always a woman that I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. She's always been a very inspiring and motivating woman to work for. But also a perfectionist and a hard woman to please. Right now, I can't read her facial expression. I have no idea if this is good news or bad news.

"It took them a long time to decide. They were very pleased with your pitch, your ideas, the hard work you'd already put in, but..."

My soaring heart sank, here was the bit where she told me, I didn't get it.

"They were also concerned with your lack of experience with a contract this size. This is a very large contract, for both you and my company"

I nod in understanding, attempting to prepare myself for the crushing blow.

"But despite those concerns they want to offer you the contract" I look up to see Amanda's beaming smile.

"Wait.. what?"

"I've set up a meeting for you, for a week on Monday, to sit down with Gerry and his team and go over contracts and schedules etcetera"

"That's amazing" I choke as the tears escape and the lump in my throat makes it hard to swallow.