Chapter 8

December
18 Weeks

It turns out when you have money behind you the world moves quickly for you. Harry had phoned on Wednesday morning to tell me we had an appointment with a new midwife on Friday evening at 6PM. I wanted to burst with emotion when he told me it was later in the evening so as not to interfere with my work. Despite not knowing much about my job or the shit-ton of work I had on for Forntam Hotels, it ruined me to know he'd had the decency to take it into consideration. I wont lie, I cried when I got off the phone to him. Especially when he told me he'd come and pick me up from work, we could grab dinner then go to see the midwife together.

So on Friday evening I was a jittery mess as I stood in the lobby, out of the cold rain, waiting on Harry to appear. I had a bodycon black midi skirt on with thick black tights and an oversized grey jumper. I was only getting away with the body con skirt because my jumper was hiding any glimpse of a tiny bump. I knew I would have to tell Amanda soon about my pregnancy because I'd need to organise maternity leave which I wasn't looking forward to. I hadn't not worked since I left school. Even as my parents put me through University, I still worked a part-time job. I was raised to understand the value of hard work. Despite having a mother that didn't work I still knew how important it was to work, earn an honest living and provide for yourself. Which was probably why I was struggling with the thought of Harry paying for my health care. I had to keep reminding myself that it was all circumstantial. I could allow Harry to pay for my healthcare because he wanted to, he could afford it and it meant more dedicated care for me and the baby.

As I stood in the quiet lobby of our building, I convinced myself I'd tell Amanda on Monday but before that I'd phone my mum tomorrow night and tell her first. I shifted my handbag which was heavy from housing my notes from the previous midwife, from one forearm to the other as my free hands twiddled with the silver ring on my forefinger. I was nervous about seeing Harry again. Despite being fine on the phone on Wednesday and being sweet telling me he'd pick me up and take me for dinner I was still hung up on the awkward end to our conversation on Tuesday night. I had deduced it came from me telling him I'd googled him but I wasn't sure why it was such a problem. He was the father to my unborn child I think I was justified in wanting to know as much about him as possible. I admit Google might not be the best source for valid information but it was the best I had at the time.

I looked down at my suede ankle boots that were crossed at my ankles as I felt my phone vibrate in my handbag. I looked up and saw the shiny black Range Rover idling at the curb. I pulled my phone from my bag and answered it.

"Do you have a brolly?" Harry's voice came through the speaker.

"...Shit, No" I answered

"Ok, wait there. I'll come and get you" I could hear his seatbealt unclick before he hung up. I stepped closer to the revolving door and watched as Harry's long frame got out of the Range Rover. He bolted to the boot and retrieved a big black golfing umbrella. He put it up quickly to stop his black coat getting wetter then came to the door.

"Thank you" I smiled coming out the other side of the door and immediately keeping tight to his outstretched arm that kept the umbrella hovering over me. "I took mine out this morning to fit my notes in my handbag" I explain as he guides me to the passenger side of the car.

"Rookie mistake" He smiles as he opens the door for me. The butterflies go for a little dance as he puts down the brolly and chucks it in the back of the car before getting into the drivers side.

He starts the car with a push of a button and pulls into the early evening traffic. Its the first week in December and London is alight with twinkling fairy lights as Harry takes us through the streets.