Chapter One

The story of meeting the dark faery is not an easy tale to tell. There is blood and danger. Darkness and war. Love and betrayal. But it is a tale worth telling and the one I'll be telling here.

It began for the mortal woman named Astra in her twenties. Yet, for him, it had begun centuries before. Long before her mother looked out the window and seen the black dog growling at her. Long before the day her mother looked out the window and called Astra to see the black dog growling at the older woman. It had begun for him even before when as a young male he had come to live with the faery of this world. Before he had first chosen the darker path of the UnSeelie.

Lethe didn't regret the decision and made no apologies for what he was. He enjoyed his work and he did his work well. Creating fear was a hobby. Toying with mortals a pleasure. Using the dark pleasure he could provide against these mortals was just well... fun. He had shed blood before, mortal and immortal alike. He would undoubtedly do so again. He was feared, even among the court of darkness. They knew he was a force to be reckoned with. He was not a king or even a prince, yet none doubted he could be if his thoughts turned in that direction. He was of the Faery, yet not. 

He had never strayed from his path of dealing a fatal brand of pleasurable pain or mind-numbing fear, to any mortal he chose. Never before had his power to deal this fear been challenged by any; mortal, or not.

Until that day.

Until the day when a young mortal woman with long brown hair and defiant gray eyes went out the door to face her mother's fear. He knew for a fact that she couldn't see the dog her mother called her to witness. It was part of the game to make his victim seem insane. Yet she walked with confidence directly towards his apparition. He let it fade and studied her. A puzzle then. Puzzles were good entertainment. He heard her mother call out her name, but her stride didn't hesitate.

Astra. He rolled the name around in his head. Not a common name in today's age. He would see if she was worthy of the honor to be named for the stars.

There didn't seem to be anything else unusual about her. Her curves would have been enough to draw his attention had he been of a mind to play, but her overall form was slender. Her soft skin was free from the paint that so many women wore. Not that she needed it to draw attention. Her stubbornly set jaw was another contradiction to the fine-boned features.

Bare feet and hair loose, she stood out in the cold, looking around. Her brown hair danced in the wind and he saw a bit of red as the light played through it. Her eyes landed on where he was and he smiled, deciding to test her bravery. Dismissing the murmur of warning in his head, he allowed her to see him. He wanted to see what the truth was.

The delicacy or the strength. The combination alone fascinated him.

He watched as her eyes skimmed over his dark eyes and black hair with barely a reaction. He felt his pride twinge a bit so he went further. Lifting his hands, he let the blood drip from them. Her eyes widened slightly and her chin rose. She looked at his hands then back at him. His dark eyes gleamed in a challenge.

"You've not harmed me or mine, faery." She spoke out loud. "Blood does not scare me and neither do you. Keep your dog on its leash." Then she turned and calmly walked back inside. Intrigued now, he went to the window of the house and watched as she reassured her mother that the dog was gone

"I'll see you tonight, reckless child." He promised softly. Strength it was then. He faded as laughter began in the house.

*****

A soft feather light caress tickled Marcus' neck. Eyes still closed, he smiled when he smelled her.

"Has that angel returned to seduce me again?" he murmured. He felt a sharp nip and laughed. He opened his eyes and met the emerald eyes he adored the most. "Ah, no. Not an angel. My wolf. Good. The wolf is more to my liking." A curvy woman in full court dress sat on the bed next to him. He reached up and brushed back her long dark hair. "You're dressed. Gwen, I thought we were staying in bed today and celebrating our anniversary."