Chapter Five

Astra woke to the sound of a steady heart beat under her ear. Raising her head a bit, she realized that she was draped most of the way over him. And her pillow was his bare chest. Oh, this was just a bit too comfortable for her liking. Her body was already feeling safe with him and that scared her just a little. He was a faery and a guy. Neither classification should ease her mind. She started to slide her leg out from around him and was startled when his hand tightened reflexively. Heat spread from where his hand lay.

"You're awake then?" his sleep roughened voice rumbled under her ear. She nodded a bit shyly. She was wearing boxers and silky pajama top but it felt like a lot less. Especially with his hand where it was. "Good. I'll have my first payment now then." With a smooth motion, he was over her with one leg wrapped around his waist.

"Which one?" She asked breathlessly. "The payment for sleeping or seeing you?" He smiled with a predatory gleam in his slightly drowsy eyes.

"I'll start with the kiss. We've a bit of time for the other." He lowered his head until it was next to her ear. "And we're going to need it for what I have in mind." he said softly and felt the instant response her body gave him. "I'd like to do an experiment today if you're up for the challenge." he said, settling himself into his position. She wasn't used to intimacy on this level. He intended to change that, get her accustomed to it. To him.

Meanwhile, she could think of nothing but the fact that she could feel him through their clothes. A scorching hard presence that her body was melting into.

"Umm...an experiment?" she said, focusing on his face.

"Yes. I'd like for you to actively try to resist responding to my kiss."

"Why?"

"Because I don't think you can and I want you to know that." he answered honestly with a grin. Her eyes narrowed and he seen her fiery temper spark in their depths. Good. He was in the mood to get burned.

"If you're adding conditions to the kiss, then what am I getting out of it?" she asked, surprising him briefly.

"We could consider this a side bet. A one-time thing, you could say." he offered, noticing that as she considered, her body was relaxing under his. Adjusting to his weight. So he let a bit more go and seen the twin flashes of alarm and passion in her eyes.

Focus, she told herself.

"A side bet that adds a condition to our deal." she countered. "I win and you are bound by the rules of our deal to always tell me the whole truth." She seen the wary look creep into his and perversely wondered what secrets he had.

"Fair enough." he said slowly. He had no intention on stopping until she was fully pliant and participating underneath him. "Since the theme is honesty, I want something similar. I want you unable to lie about your physical passion and unable to deny it what it wants."

"High stakes for a single kiss."

"You set the bar not I."

"Ok, something a bit less than total honesty then. I want to be able to use my hands when you kiss me, regardless of the theme."

"Then I want to be able to use my fangs." he countered and caught the small rush of heat. He filed that away for future use.

He had fangs? Oh, she was so sunk. "Agreed then. Time limit?"

"The duration of the kiss." his eyes challenged hers'.

"Fine." she said and took a deep steadying breath. Then her mouth closed and jaw set. Amused now, he smiled and slid one hand into her hair. And let more of his weight sink down on her. Now they were pressed tightly against each other. Tightly enough to feel the throbbing pulse of need that radiated from them both.