Chapter Four

His thoughts were far from dreamy. They were analytical. Calculating. He wouldn't be able to get the legal means to do what needed doing if he didn't play this right. Luckily, he had a friend with the connections he needed.

He walked into the high court throne room and looked to the high seat. Then lifted a hand in greeting. The stoic face sitting on the throne warmed with a smile as the high king lifted a hand in response. That had everyone in the room looking back.

It was then that Lethe noticed the UnSeelie queen in the position of petitioner. He cocked his head slightly. What was she up to?

"We were just talking about you, my friend." the king spoke, his eyes sparkling with amused mischief. "You wouldn't mind repeating your concerns in front of him, now would you, UnSeelie?" He gestured to the seat just below his. "Take a seat, duke and listen."

Lethe inclined his head and approached. The situation had just grown more complicated. Damn it. Just what he needed. His face remained impassive as he took the seat offered. "I have something I have to talk to you about," he said in a low tone once he was seated.

"After this is settled, we can speak privately," Marcus said in the same tone, and then raised his voice. "Well, UnSeelie. We're waiting."

She approached cautiously with her guards close behind her. "Are you sure this is wise, my high king?" she questioned. Lethe smirked a bit at her caution.

"It has always been the custom to let someone defend themselves when accused. Question me again and there will be consequences." Marcus said firmly.

She straightened with a simple nod of her head. "My apologies. I wanted to voice a concern about your duke's latest project. In the process of trying to win a witch, I'm afraid she may have enchanted him instead."

"Then test it," Lethe said lazily, kicking back in the chair. "The only magic binding us together is that of the deal we started. I told you this already."

"You didn't tell me," Marcus said in a dry low tone.

"Remember what I said when I sat down?" Lethe returned.

"Ah.' In a louder tone, Marcus spoke. "A deal? What does this deal entail?"

"I began it because she caught my interest. She's a clever witch and kept a blade on her. One made of steel." There was a collective wince. Faery were notoriously allergic to iron and all alloys that contained it. His caution there was understood. "Using her own curiosity, I negotiated a deal. One that had her putting it away in exchange for a promise not to whisk her away unless it was with her coherent permission. Then I wagered a kiss for the sight of me. We left the deal open for further negotiation. It is my intention of making it her idea, but that is going to take a bit of time."

"In the meantime, you are killing for her." the UnSeelie queen said harshly. Lethe gave an arrogant shrug that had a few people in the court smiling. Repentance was not something that was rewarded in this court.

"I kill on a whim anyway and it won me points with her. I'm now her fierce protector. On that note, what does it say about your court that a single witch held off two members of your court with nothing at her disposal but salt and a knife?"

A tinge of red rose in her cheeks as the high king looked at her questioningly with murmurs starting in the crowd. She made a mental note to move the surviving member of that duo to her playroom. If they had done their job, her ability to rule wouldn't be under fire.

"A fair question," Marcus said. "And one I'd like to hear the answer to."

"Since we are answering questions, I'd also like to hear the answer to this one. Why not just promise to take responsibility for the actions of members of the court you rule after decreeing the witch wouldn't be under attack anymore? Doing so would have saved his life. Yet, you hesitated." Lethe cocked his head. "Why?"