Chapter Thirteen

Gwyneth and Marcus were still leaning against base of the throne when Lethe and his bride walked through the doors. Marcus' head was buried in her neck, nuzzling.

"Are you two alright?" Lethe called out as they approached. "Or would you prefer we come back later?" Marcus lifted his head then patted her leg. She slid out of his lap and he stood, pulling her to her feet.

"It is her, my friend. She pulled the sword."

Lethe's face broke out into a smile. "I told you she came up with something."

"So you did. I take it Lorrielie is dealt with?"

"Yes," Astra said with no small amount of satisfaction, returning the hug her aunt gave her.

"She put a blade through her," Lethe said with a purr to his voice. She glanced at him. "What? The blood of our enemy on your hands is hot."

"Public place." Gwyneth reminded them when he started to tug her against him. "What's with the wet cord?"

Lethe smiled. Negotiations had gone well. "I figured out what I was willing to risk." His mate hit him.

"The same answer he gave me after handfasting us," she explained

"You tricked her into it?" Gwyneth said. Lethe nodded unrepentantly and her aunt grinned. "Good."

"Hey! You're supposed to be on my side." Her niece complained.

"It was for your own good." she retorted.

"And now he doesn't get to see his family. Because of me."

"Not to interrupt what I am sure would be a highly entertaining argument, but I want to extend my congratulations. And to remind you that you just lost a bet." Marcus said with a smile.

"What bet... Oh, come on. That was centuries ago. I also think we were both drunk."

"A bet is a bet. And is the first one I've ever won against you so you can guarantee I'm calling it."

"Wait. Handfasting to me made him lose a bet?" Astra asked.

Marcus grinned. "Yes, which is why your firstborn is either going to be named Gwendolyn or Marcus."

She laughed then laid her head on his arm. "You're forgiven," she said sweetly, smiling up at Lethe.

"She enjoys seeing me lose," Lethe said dryly. A discreet throat clearing had them all looking over.

"The head of the royal guard is requesting an audience with the high king and queen." the steward informed them. "What would you like me to tell her?'

"Come on in," Gwyneth said then glanced at her niece. "I like her. She is extremely badass. Total shieldmaiden."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Think vampiric Viking."

Booted footsteps echoed in the great hall as she approached them with long strides, still in uniform. Lethe glanced over then stared dumbfounded.

"Just for the record, I put a knife in the back of a woman trying to arouse you. I'll just cut off your ability." Lethe smiled and ran his hand down her back absently.

"Serilda? Is that you?" he said. The woman stopped and looked over. Relief showed plainly on her strong, tanned face.

"I knew you would find a position of power." She strode over to the group with a satisfied smirk. "This was what I was going to speak to you about, Your Majesties."