Chapter Six

Lethe strode into the high court and walked straight to the high dais. He paid no attention to those that gasped at the sight of his still closing wounds. Marcus rose and went to him.

"What in the name of the Lady happened to you?" he demanded. He looked up at his steward and nodded towards the court. The steward started dismissing everyone as Lethe went with him.

"I was ambushed by part of what looked to be a standing army that she keeps. They were after you, but I showed up first." Lethe replied. "I think your suspicions of her motives have been proven beyond reasonable doubt. She was trying to kill me tonight."

The king gestured towards the wounds. "So I see. Although I also see you have received healing."

"My witch is very...talented." Lethe said. He knew what she had done to heal him. And the price she would pay whether she did or not. That claim was going to weaken her magic for a while.

"I'll handle this. Go back and rest." At Lethe's hesitation, he cocked his head questioningly.

"I find myself loath to leave her up here while I'm being hunted." he allowed. "I owe her a debt now."

The king grimaced. "That is true. Protecting her would fulfill that debt."

"She won't let me protect her."

"So renegotiate." Marcus said with a smile. "Gain her acceptance of being down there for a week of our time by whatever means are necessary. I'll travel up top and deal with the little upstart. That should give me enough time."

"I..." Lethe hesitated.

"Consider it an order then." the king's voice lost the easygoing tone. "Find a way to keep her in your chambers for at least a week. By fair means or foul. Or stay in your chambers without her. My duke is indispensable."

He walked away, getting out the phone he was never without anymore. Lethe watched him leave moodily. This was not going to be enjoyable.

******

She rose from bed and began to get dressed. Gwyneth was supposed to come by later and if she wasn't steady by then, her aunt would know. And question her. Her aunt seemed very taken with a new guy she had met. Some guy named.. Mark? That was something they were going to talk about too. She just wished she could talk to her aunt about Lethe.

She was beginning to question just how attached she was getting to her faery. He had needed healing last night undoubtedly. That hadn't been faked. He hadn't tried anything so she knew some of her trust wasn't misplaced.... who was she kidding?

She pulled on one of her long skirts then tugged one of her nicer bras on. That was the problem. She did trust him and that was something that would come back to bite her,...pun intended.

Before she could reach for the shirt, she felt unmistakable hands over hers and hot breath on her neck. Apparently quicker than she'd thought.

"I didn't expect to see you yet." she managed. "You should be resting."

"I couldn't rest without receiving payment for last night. The deal is still in effect." he purred against her skin.

"You really should..." her words ended on a moan as his fingers danced lightly over her nipples.

"I really should what?" he asked, cupping them. She started to speak again and his thumbs flicked over the tips of her breasts. Her hands came up to cover his. He interlaced their fingers and her heart tripped inside her chest.

"Rest." she managed.

"I'll give you a choice. Either this can play out in my bed with a promise not to leave it until I'm rested or I can stay here and..." he scraped his sharp teeth over her neck "Finish you and this here."