Chapter Two

"What do you mean she is dead? I was never contacted about this!" Spencer had contacted an old friend of Sarah's when he got the chance, and he began to wish why he hadn't done it sooner.

"Yes, Spencer," Amanda sighed. "She committed suicide. Some foster system found the baby in the woods. They placed him in a home with some lady. They didn't know of any family."

"Wait? A baby? What baby?" Spencer was confused. She wasn't pregnant when he left. Was she?

"You didn't know," Amanda gasped. "She never told you. That is why you never came for him."

"Of course I didn't come for him. I didn't know about him. Is that why she forced me to leave? She didn't want me to know?"

"Spencer, I don't know why she did it. But, you have a son. He is around two years old. His name is Matthew."

Matthew. He almost sobbed. His middle name was Matthew.

"How can I find him? I need to see him. I need to know him. Do you know the woman he is with?" Spencer rambled on.

"Spencer, I'm sorry. I don't know anything. I'm not family, so I couldn't have a part in it. She didn't leave any identity of family, so they placed him in a home. I do have the information for the agency. You could drive over there and see for yourself."

"Okay," he sighed. "Let me get something to write on."

She gave him the address to the agency. "Thanks, Amanda. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, Spencer. Sorry I couldn't help more."

He said goodbye and hung up. Wow. What a day it has been. He got in his car and set out for the agency. It was time to find his son he never knew. Why had she kept this secret?

......................

"Matthew. Where are you?" Alyssa laughed at her son. He was playing his favorite game: hide and seek. He always did that when it was time to leave.

"Do you want to go bye bye, Matthew?"

She heard a giggle. She turned and saw him run to the other corner. "No. No bye bye. Matt stay."

He poked his bottom lip out. "Aw, poor baby. Do you want to go to the store and get some candy?"

His eyes lit up, and she knew she had won him over. "Candy?"

"Yes. Candy. Mommy has to go buy some groceries or we will go hungry. If you listen to mommy, you can get candy."

He nodded and went for his sandals. As soon as he left, her phone rang.

The caller ID said it was the agency. What could they possibly want now?

"Hello," she forced out.

"Hello, Miss Daniels. I am sorry to bother you. I know you are very busy. But I have some information concerning Matthew. His father is here."

Alyssa felt her heart drop, and she almost dropped the phone. "I, um, are you sure?"

"Yes, I am. Matthew looks identical to him, and we did a DNA test. He came by yesterday and took all the tests. They all came back positive today."

Alyssa almost cried. She wanted Matthew to have connections with family, but she couldn't lose him. Not now. "So, what are we going to do? I can't meet him now. I am about to go grocery shopping."

"Hang on. Let me see."

Alyssa listened and heard a muffled voice in the background.

The case worker came back on. "He is willing to work around your schedule. He said he doesn't want to rip Matthew from you. He just wants to know him. Are you busy later?"

Alyssa closed her eyes. This was all happening to fast. She decided to do it because of her son. "I'm not busy later. I can drop off my groceries at home and meet him at the park downtown."

Again, she heard muffled voices. "He said sounds good."

"Okay, bye. Thanks." She hung up the phone and broke down into tears.

She felt a tug on her shirt. "What's wrong, mommy?"

She gathered her baby in her arms. "Nothing, sweetie. Mommy is okay. Let's go get some candy."

She couldn't believe it. After two years, she was losing her son. She was so close to having him forever. Why did the father have to show up? Where has he been the past two years?

She buckled Matthew in and set out for the store. Today, her life would be changed forever. She was going to do it because Matthew deserved the best.