Chapter Nineteen

For Alyssa, the rest of the weekend seemed to drag on. What Molly said in the mall was still running through her mind. Could she possibly be pregnant.

It was Monday morning. Spencer was still asleep beside her when she felt a wave of sickness. She jumped out of bed and ran towards the bathroom.

While sitting by the toilet, she heard Spencer move. Crap, she thought. I woke him up.

He came in to the bathroom and dropped down beside her. "Alyssa, sweetheart. Are you alright?"

She nodded. "Yes. I'm fine." She lied. "I think I have a stomach bug. It should pass."

"Are you going to be able to work? I can call in for you."

"No, Spencer. There is no need for that. I no longer have a job. They fired me Friday. I've been meaning to tell you, but I never got the chance."

"You got fired? What? Why?" He pulled her to him. "Do you need me to stay with you?"

She shook her head. "No. One of us has to work. Besides, Molly is coming over. I'll be fine."

He stared at her. He could tell she was keeping something from him. He decided not to question it. "Okay. Call me if you need anything. I'll take Matthew to school and pick him up. You just stay home and take care of yourself."

Alyssa nodded. "Okay. I promise. Thanks."

"No problem, sweetheart. I would do anything for you." He kissed her head and smiled. "I would kiss your lips, but..."

She laughed. She forgot about where she was. "I'm sorry. I just had to ruin it." She stood up and grabbed a towel. She wiped her face and turned towards him. "Better?"

He walked towards her and placed a small kiss on her lips. "Much better."

He pulled away. "I guess I better get ready. And get Matthew ready. You just get some rest, okay?"

She nodded.

He looked at her. "I love you."

She paused. "I love you, too."

.....................

"So, what did you tell him?" Molly asked. She arrived about an hour after Spencer left.

"I told him that I probably had a stomach bug. I don't know how he bought it. I wouldn't have."

"He doesn't know you that well. He can't see through you like I can." Molly reached into her purse. She pulled out a small box. "I bought this. It will give us a head start. We can move on from here."

"Molly, is that a pregnancy test?"

"Obviously." She handed to Alyssa. "Now, go. Take the test. It is now or never."

Alyssa sighed and grabbed the test. She went to the bathroom and opened the test.

She did as she was supposed to, and she opened the door. Of course, Molly was standing there.

Alyssa pulled her in the bathroom. "I need you to wait with me. It says to wait five minutes. I don't think I can do this, Molly."

"Alyssa, just calm down. I'm here for you. Okay? I'll be here all week. I still wish you weren't waiting until after the holidays to tell Spencer."

"I have to Molly. The holidays are a time to rejoice. I can't ruin it with a pregnancy that could injure me and the baby."

Five minutes, which seemed like hours, finally passed. Alyssa took a deep breath when she picked up the test. She started to cry.

Molly came around and said, "Alyssa? What is it, honey? Is everything okay."

Alyssa shook her head. She turned to Molly and said, "it's positive."