Chapter One

Okay, everyone knows that Hawkpool should have been canon. 

Anyway, I don't own Warriors, because then it would be canon.

The Dark Forest's chilling silence was broken only by a tom's long groan of pain as he dragged himself unsteadily through the bushes. Blood trickled from his wounds, and his brown tabby pelt was streaked with it. Behind the tom stretched a long trail of crimson, leading far away into the trees.

The tom reached a clearing and collapsed heavily, his eyes shut. His breathing came in labored, quick pants and he flashed a single icy eye open, and then closed it again. His wounds were deep, he knew. But he had suffered far worse before.

Yes, his wounds were deep, but the agony of the scratches littering his skin did nothing to distract him from the one face that haunted his thoughts. Beautiful cobalt eyes. Silvery grey slashing through white fur, and a slight, challenging smile. He heard his mew in his ears- and her agonized shrieks from the Great Battle. Despite his attempts to feel something at her betrayal, he couldn't be mad. Not at her.

A mirthless chuckle escaped him. Once, he had been so violent and bloodthirsty. Now he was... well, yes, he still loved that feeling of his claws slashing through fur and skin, but the battle had truly broken him. Ha, he thought with a smile. It didn't matter now. All that mattered was her.

Hawkfrost shakily stood and took one trembling step. Then another. This part of the forest was unfamiliar to him, with its lighter trees and- HOLY DARK FOREST WAS THAT STARCLAN?

Energized, the tom sprang forward and landed awkwardly, muttering a string of colorful language before carrying on at a slower pace towards the shimmering forest that lay near him. Step after step brought him closer and closer, he could smell the prey, he could see the cats, he could-

With a zap, the border sent Hawkfrost flying backwards. He landed on his side a few fox-lengths away and paused, looking at the border. A silvery crack glistened, then sealed over. Hawkfrost stepped forward, hoping to try again.

"You can't cross."

Started, Hawkfrost jerked back. Bluestar sat contentedly on her end of the border, a smug smirk on her face- an expression that Hawkfrost had often worn himself. "The border protects us all from evil cats." Slowly, the former ThunderClan leader dragged her paw to her tongue, licked it, and lazily brushed her cheek, all while staring at Hawkfrost.

The tabby tom half growled. "Fine." He turned to slink away into the Dark Forest. How had he been so stupid? There was no way he would ever get to StarClan. Ever.

"Wait," called Bluestar. "We need you for something."

Disbelievingly, Hawkfrost turned around. Bluestar shifted irritably on her paws. "Ah... well, you see, when you killed your brother..."

"Half-brother," Hawkfrost corrected. He really didn't need to think about Brambleclaw... and sticks... ugh...

A snort came from the she-cat in front of him. "Hawkfrost, no one cares. Anyway, Ivypool's coming at moonrise for her leadership ceremony and as much as I hate to admit it... you're the one for the job."

Hawkfrost's choke echoed in the dark trees.

Bluestar cocked her head. "Are you coming or not?" Hawkfrost nodded hastily.

With a sigh, the former leader turned and flicked her tail. Hawkfrost stepped forward and put a paw through the barrier. Then another.

"I don't have all day, Hawkfrost."

"Right." Hawkfrost stepped the rest of the way into StarClan and looked around. He could smell the prey again and....

Bluestar interrupted him with an impatient wave of her tail. "It's almost moonrise. I let you into StarClan, but put a pad out of line and you're gone."

Nodding, he followed her into the forest.

A bath in the stream and two mice later, Hawkfrost sat in the StarClan ThunderClan camp, admiring the sparkling stars in his fur. Bluestar sat next to him, one eye trained warily on his pelt. Not that she needed to worry, of course. One wrong move and he couldn't see Ivypool.

The air shimmered and Hawkfrost tensed, watching as a light brown she-cat stepped into the hollow. Following after her was Ivypool, her eyes bright, until- they landed on him and disgust rippled through her features for a split second. He shrank away self-consciously.

Ivypool stood at the ready as Bluestar said, "Welcome."

Hawkfrost stifled a yawn as Bluestar continued to speak, losing himself in Ivypool's face. Then-

"I give you a life for humor. Humor will be needed to help spark your Clan back to life after the devastating attacks of the Dark Forest." Brambleclaw stepped away as Ivystar convulsed. Hawkfrost barely managed to contain his sneer as Brambleclaw passed by him, his face cold and angry. He had good reason, though.

Hawkfrost was bowled over by Brambleclaw, off of Ivypool. His half-brother was angry, but Hawkfrost survived his attacks. He limped away from his brother and then turned and fled. Faintly, he could see Tigerstar standing there, fury on his face. There was a shriek and a pool of blood, and then no more Brambleclaw.

Hawkfrost shook his thoughts out of the happy memory and stepped forward awkwardly. Ivypool's face reverted back to its disgusted expression, but her eyes held... hope? "I give you a life for understanding. Some cats make mistakes- especially me- but you must learn to forgive them." He touched noses with his former apprentice and walked away. He didn't want to turn around, didn't want to look back, not even as she called his name.

Hawkfrost had always been picky about his fur. Did it look right when he came out of the river? Was a tuft hanging loose? Naturally, the loss of the stars in his fur had hit him hard. Well, at least it would have, if Bluestar hadn't been snarling at him, trying to get him back to the Dark Forest. "There's no way! No way!"

"No way what?" Ivystar was still there, waiting to wake up.

"Well, if he can't go back then he belongs here." Bluestar responded, glaring at Hawkfrost.

Hawkfrost smiled. "Great!"

The blue she-cat grumbled. "Unfortunately, we have some sort of policy about giving cats second chances. Now we have to give you a test."

Ivystar's eyes glinted maliciously. "I'm sure you won't mind if I test you myself." Hawkfrost's favorite expression to see on her face surfaced.

StarClan, she was going to be the death of him.