Chapter Twelve

The next night, when Hawkfrost fell asleep, there were more cats waiting for him in the Dark Forest, along with its usual inhabitants.

He glanced over them. Many were unfamiliar, and if he smelled the air, he could catch the scent of all four Clans. Had training begun?

Of course it has, he thought to himself. Why else would they be here?

Tigerstar turned to face him. "Just in time, Hawkfrost. Go sit by Mapleshade."

He obeyed, padding over to where Mapleshade sat on the branch of a tree. He sprang up beside her.

Brokenstar slipped to another branch, while Tigerstar claimed a higher one. "Cats of all Clans," he began. A hush fell over the crowd of confused-looking cats. "I am sure you are wondering what you are doing here."

Hawkfrost watched a few cats nod.

"This," Tigerstar meowed, gesturing at the trees with his tail, "Is the Dark Forest. Maybe you've heard of it?"

Most of the ThunderClan warriors there were unfazed, but the cats from other Clans all burst out in surprise and panic.

"Isn't the Dark Forest evil?"

"WHAT?"

"How are we here?"

"I thought they lost!"

Tigerstar silenced them with a glare. "The Dark Forest is not as evil as your Clanmates would have you believe. I know you've heard the stories, but now is the time to ask yourself: if your kits died, what would you do? If your leader couldn't muster the courage to attack a Clan, what would you do? What if your mother abandoned you with another who didn't care if you lived or died?"

"How do we know we can trust you?" One cat meowed.

Tigerstar stared at them. "This is Hawkfrost. As some of you may already know, he was one of us, but showed true remorse and was granted a second chance."

Gasps echoed through the clearing as Hawkfrost looked at them.

"We will help you become better warriors for your Clans. You can trust us because we welcome Hawkfrost among us. If we were truly so bloodthirsty, why would we allow a pure cat to stay with us?"

These cats are all mouse-brains, Hawkfrost groaned in his mind. How can they believe this?

"I am Tigerstar, and that is Mapleshade," his father continued. "Brokenstar is sitting on the branch...." He continued to name the rest of the Dark Forest cats. "If you agree to train with us, please step forward. If you are not interested, Mapleshade and Hawkfrost will take you to a place where you can safely return to your nest."

Most of the cats stepped forward, but a few did not. Hawkfrost recognized Talonwhisker, from his own Clan, Cloudtuft of WindClan, Longfur of ShadowClan and Nightfoot of ShadowClan. They're smart. Now we can send them back. How, though?

Brokenstar jumped down to meet the new cats, while Tigerstar made his way to Hawkfrost and Mapleshade. "Any cats who die here will now be trapped," he told them. "As for their physical bodies, they will simply disappear."

"Are you saying you want us to kill them?" Hawkfrost asked, suddenly realizing what was in store for those that had stayed back. His father gave him a nod.

"Excellent," Mapleshade purred.

The two of them jumped down to the four cats, who all looked uncertain. "Who would like to return first?"

"Me," said the two cats from ShadowClan at the same time.

"Eager, aren't we?" Mapleshade laughed, forcing a friendly expression. "Well, I'll take one of you and the other can go with Hawkfrost."