Chapter Fifteen

Silverpelt glimmered over the ThunderClan camp, the full moon shining brightly in the night sky. A line of cats started to follow Ivystar out of camp as Hawkfrost watched, knowing that his absence from the Gathering was for the best.

Although it had been many moons since the Great Battle, Hawkfrost knew that he wasn't exactly welcome in the other Clans. Even Mothwing, his own littermate, would be unhappy to see him. He couldn't quite blame her, though.

Specklepaw and Darkpaw were comparing their catches near the fresh-kill pile while Tigersky watched them from behind. Her green gaze was filled with sorrow- no doubt because the Dark Forest was training her kits and she couldn't say a word.

This isn't a secret we can hide forever, though Hawkfrost as he watched Tigersky slip into the warriors' den. The Dark Forest was being careful with how they trained their cats- it was still gentle, by the looks of it. If they had been training like Hawkfrost knew they wanted to... there would have been many cats in ThunderClan covered in scratches.

Talonwhisker's disappearance had confused the entire Clan until Ravenwhisper somehow found a barely detectable trail at the end of the next day. "It led straight to Twolegplace and across a few Thunderpaths," she had reported. The Clan had mourned him, but Ravenwhisker convinced his remaining kits,  Thistlefur and Sorrelfern, that they shouldn't try to find where she had buried him.

Hawkfrost wondered how Ravenwhisper had found such a trail when there obviously was none. Ivystar had just insisted they take the excuse, but she did mention to Hawkfrost that she hadn't told the little black she-cat of Talonwhisker's true end. So how had Ravenwhisper known to fake the trail?

"She has that strange power," Spottedleaf meowed. "Even now, when she's at the Gathering, it feels like she's watching me and almost influencing my decisions."

"That's creepy," Hawkfrost replied.

A nod from the tortoiseshell she-cat. "Yes, it really is. I mean, I feel like she's watching me now."

"No, I meant the fact that you can hear what I'm thinking," Hawkfrost said. 

Spottedleaf batted his ear as if he were a kit. "Go to sleep, Hawkfrost. I'll wake you when Ivystar returns."

Huffing, Hawkfrost padded off to the warriors' den. It was emptier than usual, which meant less cats to shy away from him. Recently, though, they had become less disgusted towards the idea of his paw brushing their tails. 

He reached his nest, curled up, and fell asleep.

~~~~~~~

"Wake up," Spottedleaf's voice came hissing through Hawkfrost's dreamless sleep. "They're back." 

He reluctantly pulled himself out of his moss nest, shaking a leaf that was probably left there on purpose out of his pelt before walking out into the open. As he padded out, Ivystar came bounding through the barrier and into the camp, cats streaming behind her.

"How did it go?" Hawkfrost asked. "How badly did the Clans react?"

Ivystar flicked her tail as if swatting a bug. "They reacted poorly, which is to be expected. It's not often that the cat who killed your kin returns as a member of the oh-so-peaceful ThunderClan."

Hawkfrost sighed. "If I told you I didn't expect that, I'd be lying."

"Can we afford to have the tensions between Clans this high when the-" her voice became softer, so the cats nearing them couldn't hear- "Dark Forest attacks?"

"We'll survive."

She met his gaze with her own, steel appearing in her eyes. "We'll survive."

He nodded and returned to his nest.

~~~~~

Where was Ivystar?

The camp around her seemed so foreign, yet every part of it told her that she was in the ThunderClan camp. It was different. There was a stench of blood and death in the air. Even the dirt seemed darker. Mist floated around through the camp, obscuring her view.

Oh, StarClan! This is what will happen if the Dark Forest wins!

As if to prove her wrong, the mist swirled, forming a panting ginger tom. Blood splattered his pelt. "The battle's over." Grief echoed in his hollow mew

Firestar.

Another swirling of the mist, and two cats appeared- Brambleclaw, dragging a heavily wounded Hawkfrost. Ivystar watched as she- Ivypool- materialized, rage lighting her eyes at the sight of the blue-eyed tabby.

Her younger self loosed a quiet growl, pacing behind Firestar.  Ivystar turned away. She knew what would happen next- she didn't need to see it again.

"You killed Hollyleaf!" That was her mew.

A heartbeat later, dreadful snarling filled the air. Ivystar felt phantom claws raking her pelt. "You're the traitor," someone breathed. "And this time I'll kill you." She knew that meow- it was Hawkfrost's voice, filled with betrayal and malice.

Swallowing the bile in her throat, she turned to see Hawkfrost throw her to the ground. Ivypool laid on the ground unmoving. "Ivypool!" Brambleclaw and Dovewing moved at the same, charging for the Dark Forest cat. In a flash, he was a whirlwind of claws and teeth-

The world seemed to slow down as Hawkfrost's claws came slicing towards Dovewing's throat, too fast for her to avoid-

Brambleclaw came soaring into the way as if propelled by winged paws and took the blow, landing on the ground motionless.

Hawkfrost staggered once, twice, and fell. His pelt sparkled, but Ivystar knew he wasn't dead. His body faded. Then a ghostly, star-flecked image appeared, looking unaware of what was happening.

The outline of Hawkfrost disappeared, but in her heart, Ivystar felt him return to the Dark Forest. How did he do that?

The ground beneath her paws was trembling. Should I move?  As Tigerstar and Firestar took their places for the last battle, Ivystar felt the air warp. The cats disappeared from the hollow.

"Ivystar."

She spun around to see an unfamiliar cat padding towards her. His pelt shone, yet it had no stars in it. "Who are you?"

"That matters not." The tom was powerful. She could feel it.

"What does matter is that I have a message for you."

~~~~~~~~~

Spottedleaf looked up from her air-perch in the warriors' den and looked upwards as if called to. "Oh," she whispered. "She found them."

Wednesday update. Because I can.

Also, this chapter marks the moment when "Return" became longer in chapters than "A Second Chance"

For OCs, if you intend for them to have... I don't know, a grand reveal or if they have a secret I can use, I'd prefer if you message me separately. Just remember, I need their Clan, name, gender, appearance, personality, and whatever else you want. They can shoot rainbows, but they'll be included somehow. Just let me know if you don't want them to die.