Chapter Eight

In the middle of the Dark Forest, a pool rippled softly in the quiet. There were no cats around it, which was a definite change.

Well, there was one cat near the pool.

Hawkfrost slipped forward, glancing from side to side as if he expected the trees to come alive with suspicious Clanmates- if the group he was stuck in could be called a Clan. When no one appeared, he took the opportunity to dive towards the pool. 

He took a shaky breath. "Just close your eyes and lap a bit of the water." Hawkfrost's eyes darted around, and he flinched at every small noise. His Clanmates were walking in the dreams of other cats, trying to (subtly) figure out who was suited for the Dark Forest. So why was he still afraid?

It was probably because of the knowing gleam in Ravenwhisper's eyes, or maybe the barely contained fury in Tigerstar's eyes as Mapleshade taunted him. Or maybe it was because he really didn't want someone to come and kill him because he was contacting the love of his li- um, Ivystar.

"Here goes nothing," Hawkfrost muttered, leaning down to lap the water of the pool. The liquid tasted rotten and bitter, and his disgusted noises filled the clearing. Then-

"Ivystar." The name slipped out the moment he saw her, looking like she was about to leave her den. No one else could see him, but it couldn't hurt to be careful. He didn't need something weird to happen like it always did.

She whirled around faster than he could breathe and looked at him. Disbelief and anger erupted in her gaze. "What in the name of StarClan do you think you're doing?"

Her voice was so sharp and hostile that Hawkfrost almost flinched. Almost. He couldn't show weakness to her again. Instead, he forced himself to stare her down. "Bringing you a warning," he said smoothly, trying to hide the nervousness bubbling under his pelt.

"I don't want your warning," Ivystar hissed, eyes burning with angry fire. "I want you to leave. NOW."

If Hawkfrost hadn't expected a response something like that, he would have been genuinely hurt. But he knew Ivystar well enough by now. "Oh, I think you will want to hear it."

She glared harshly at him. That steel was so familiar to him. He'd seen it in only a few other cats, one of which was not himself. "Will I?" Ivystar asked mockingly, flicking her tail as if swatting a bug with it.

"They've risen again," Hawkfrost began, hoping for a reaction.

All he got was a snort. "I already know that, thanks."

Before she could turn around and leave, Hawkfrost continued. "They're training faster and they've recruited your own deputy. Ivystar, they know what they're doing."

The ThunderClan leader paused. "What can I do about it?" Fear entered her mew. Hawkfrost felt a pang of pity.

"Get a new deputy and listen to my reports," Hawkfrost suggested. "I'll come every quarter-moon, or whenever I need to tell you something."

"Can you do this whenever?" Ivystar asked.

He gave her a nod.

"All right. I'll wait..." There was something off about her voice.

There was a little rustle in the real Dark Forest. Hawkfrost glanced up from the pool in a flash, and Ivystar disappeared, along with the rest of the ThunderClan camp.

"What are you doing?" Mapleshade asked, sliding across the dirt. "You're not supposed to be looking around the pool, you know."

Hawkfrost said awkwardly, "Uh-yeah-right, sorry." He took off towards a section of the Dark Forest. Hopefully she hadn't heard his conversation with Ivystar.

Ah! I forgot to apologize to her! With a start, Hawkfrost realized he hadn't told Ivystar he was sorry. She had no reason to trust him. So why did she?

The answer hit him. She didn't. The weird bit of her voice when she said she would wait was distrust. Had she been playing along the whole time? Was she telling Lionblaze and Jayfeather about how mouse-brained he was?

"How can I make her trust me?" He murmured it out loud.

Suddenly, he was sprinting for the StarClan border as if his life depended on it. Tigerstar and Brokenstar had returned from the dead. Bluestar... she could have been acting, and it was possible to bring Spottedleaf back.

The border glimmered up ahead. Wait, though- that wasn't the StarClan border- that was some misty, flashing land-

Hawkfrost skidded to a halt right after he crossed the border.

Scrambling, he turned to look back at the Dark Forest- only to find that it was gone.

"Huh?" He yelped, turning around again. 

Warm amber eyes greeted him. "Hello, Hawkfrost." Spottedleaf stood before him, contentedness on her face.

"What-how-" He stammered.

A laugh. "Do you really think that we disappear forever? We come here and become something else. Few cats have ever discovered it, because they must have a true reason to see this border..."

Hawkfrost stood there, dumbstruck, as Spottedleaf continued. "Your reason is love, is it not?"

He glanced at the ground guiltily and looked up to see her staring at him with amusement in her eyes. "I thought so. That's why I'm here. I fought for love... I died for love... and now I am here to help others have the happy ending I never will have..."

"But if you're here, why can't you see Firestar?" Hawkfrost spluttered, mewing the first thing that came to his mind.

Sadness darkened her gaze. "If I could, I would." Spottedleaf sighed. "But the leader of this place believes that it could interfere with my duties, as I am not experienced enough to be trusted to roam the StarClan lands."

"How have you all stayed so hidden?"

"I do not know. My superiors tell me that one day, I will learn the tales of the greatest warriors of all time, who managed to discover us and live a great life."

"If they were so great, why has no cat ever heard of them?"

Spottedleaf sighed. "They are remembered, but only they know of this land. Even if they wished to, they could not speak to any undeserving cat."

"You have that power?" Hawkfrost gasped.

The medicine cat looked straight into his eyes. "Have you ever heard of a god?"

"No," he admitted.

"We, in a sense, are gods. The she-cats are goddesses... but that is irrelevant. Anyway, famous warriors have discovered us. Some have not yet faded from StarClan, like Mothflight, who may never truly leave them. She has more power than the others because she is on the brink of joining us."

Pretending to understand, Hawkfrost nodded.

"I know why you're here." Spottedleaf mewed. "I can come with you to StarClan. Bluestar knows of this land."

"She does?"

"One day, she will join us to represent DETERMINATION." Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I have an obsession right now.

"Okay," Hawkfrost said.

The world blurred.

The hunting grounds of StarClan appeared under his paws in a heartbeat.

Bluestar looked up from a squirrel that she was eating. "Oh, hello," she mewed, her eyes sparking with interest. "You found them."