Chapter Seven

"But Rosepool wouldn't back down. She stood firm against the ShadowClan cat-" Ravenwhisper told the three kits in front of her. 

"SHADOWCLAN!" Frostfire screeched, sticking his head into the nursery. "Ravenwhisper, Palmsun, defend the kits!"

The black she-cat gave an almost undetectable purr. "I wonder how that happened," she said, standing up. Frostfire gave her a look, and then nodded, her amusement mirrored in his eyes. "Actually, Ravenwhisper, why don't you come out and fight?"

Palmsun stood over his kits as Ravenwhisper and Frostfire threw themselves into the battle, onto the nearest ShadowClan cats.

Ravenwhisper landed on a grey she-cat, hissing in fury. The she-cat yowled and threw her off almost immediately, turning to face her. 

"Splashclaw?" Ravenwhisper asked in shock, recognizing her friend's bright blue eyes.

"SHHHHHHH," the she-cat said. "I'm in the body of this cat named Finsplash, okay? No one can know it's me."

Ravenwhisper shrugged and pushed Finsplashclaw away, turning to fight another cat.

Ivystar appeared out of her den, the sun lighting her silver pelt. With a snarl, she threw herself on top of the ShadowClan leader, Vinestar.

She looks tiny compared to him, Ravenwhisper thought as she slashed at a tom, glancing to look at her Clan leader. Vinestar and Ivystar were rolling on the ground- and Ivystar was winning.

Frostfire appeared out of the writhing masses of cats and jumped towards Vinestar. A second before he landed, a golden tom ran out to block his attack. The four cats disappeared in the chaos.

Ravenwhisper turned her attention back to her enemy, slashing at his ear. Her paws told her to do much more than just scratch his nose, but she ignored the urge. She didn't have the luxury of being able to use the Dark Forest's tactics freely... yet.

But as she sent the tom yowling away, she knew that she soon would.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hawkfrost stared at the pool, watching as Ivystar pummeled Vinestar into the ground. That's what you get for messing with my apprentice, he thought happily as Vinestar tried feebly to lash back.

The huge leader was known for his skill in combat, but Ivystar's training was clearly far superior to his- as well as her experience. As Hawkfrost watched, Ivystar rained blow after blow onto Vinestar's belly.

Then a black cat lunged out of the battle and smashed into Ivystar, knocking her to the side. Vinestar staggered up and faced Ivystar down, the black cat next to him. Ivystar scrambled to her paws and hissed at them, her tail lashing. Panic glinted in her eyes.

Splashclaw, next to Hawkfrost, had gone still. Her eyes had turned grey- a sign that she was currently using another cat.

Ivystar moved suddenly, streaking toward the two cats. Vinestar moved out of the way, and the black cat took the hit. Ivystar furiously slashed at her, before turning and swiping Vinestar's muzzle. The ShadowClan leader growled and leapt, crashing down on top of her. Anxiety welled in Hawkfrost- would Ivystar beat them?

As the ThunderClan leader hit the dust, she screeched in pain. Hawkfrost saw that her leg was twisted, and sat in an odd position. What's happened?

Vinestar didn't hesitate, and snapped his jaws around Ivystar's neck. 

Hawkfrost swallowed down his yowl of terror as Ivystar's eyes dulled. She lay still, and the black she-cat vanished back into the fighting cats.

Frostfire was there in a heartbeat, throwing Vinestar right into Finsplash, who looked like they had the eyes of Splashclaw. Wait a-

Finsplash turned and slit Vinestar's throat. A moment later, the blue in Splashclaw's eyes returned.

The cats froze, and the ShadowClan deputy, Flintflame, burst forward. "What have you DONE?" She howled, pointing her tail at her leader's body.

The now unpossessed cat stammered, "I- I what- I didn't- How come I don't-"

Flintflame glared at her furiously. "StarClan will punish you," she declared. "From now on, you are no longer a part of ShadowClan."

Splashclaw purred happily at Finsplash's horrified expression. "They didn't see that coming, did they?"

The Dark Forest cat's gave murmurs of agreement. They nodded, but kept watching the pool to see what Ivystar was going to do.

After a moment of silence broken only by the panting of tired cats, Ivystar meowed, "Enough of this. Leave now, ShadowClan."

Flintflame growled and held her ground.

"Leave," Ivystar said again, taking a threatening step forward.

For a heartbeat, the two she-cats faces each other down, hostility burning in their gazes. Their eyes narrowed.

With a loud snort, Flintflame tossed her head and turned around. "ShadowClan, let's go," she ordered, flicking her tail.

"Ivystar?" Finsplash meowed tentatively. "Can I stay with ThunderClan?"

The tabby regarded her for a moment. "Of course."

"UGH," Splashclaw sighed. The Dark Forest was filled with its cats' disappointed groaning. "I thought for sure Ivystar wouldn't take them either," Mapleshade grumbled.

"ThunderClan was always weak," Tigerstar said.

The large she-cat turned to him. "You're still ThunderClan to us, you know."

Tigerstar's only response was a snort and a slight narrowing of his eyes. It didn't look too bad, but Hawkfrost could see the angry fire burning in his father.

This was not going to end well, was it?

~~~~~~~~~

Ever since Rosepool's terrible death, Ivystar had waited for any sign that the Dark Forest was about to attack. She constantly asked Dovewing if she had heard anything, and would pester Jayfeather to see if he had enough herbs for the battle.

It took a while before Finsplash had come up to her and asked about Dawnpaw, whose mentor was the grief-stricken Palmsun.

"Sorry to bother you, Ivystar," Finsplash had meowed. "But I don't think Dawnpaw's mentor is, well, mentoring her right now."

So Ivystar had held a quick ceremony and had given Dawnpaw to Finsplash to mentor.

This decision sparked some anger from younger cats (Frostfire especially) and Ivystar watched them for days as they ate their fresh-kill together, dark looks in their eyes. She knew she shouldn't be so suspicious, but her own father had trained in the Dark Forest- Ivystar was not about to let her guard down.

Finsplash was adapting to the Clan well, but she still had a slight problem with ThunderClan's prey, preferring to go hunting for a long time just to try to find a frog. Ivystar hoped she wouldn't affect Dawnpaw's training with her old ShadowClan habits.

Ivystar shook her head out of her thoughts and padded to go see Lionblaze to ask him how the Clan's battle skills were. They had to be prepared, but not worried. Stress wasn't good for any cat. Unfortunately, Ivystar didn't quite realize that that rule applied to her, too.

She crossed the hollow, ready to call Lionblaze, when a voice said, "Ivystar."

Standing in the entrance of the den she had left, a terrified gleam in his eyes, was Hawkfrost.

~~~~~~~

Okay!

I just wanted to say a quick shoutout to CherryfeatherWC  for their comment on Chapter Six- I'm glad you're happy that the chapter is out! I haven't quite worked out an updating schedule... obviously...