A Lie

“How could this have happened?!” Thor asked himself angrily when they returned to the hellicarrier.  He kicked a chair and Steve had to catch it.

“I want to know how he got the drop on Big Green?” Tony said as he had Jarvis scan the city and the park for any magical activity.  Jane, Erik, and Darcy looked over at Loki as he stared over Tony’s shoulder.  His fingers were twitching and every now and then, he would crack one of his knuckles.  His eyes were focused on the computer screen. 

“He wouldn’t make his trail obvious, unless he was luring us into another trap,” Loki pointed out when Tony found some traces.  The genius glanced up at the god, and Loki shrugged his shoulders.  The rest of the Avengers knew that this Loki was not devoid of emotion.  He was just keeping his mind clear so he could find his friends before something bad happened to them.

“I say we let Thor go and we’ll be right there if he needs any help,” Steve suggested as he put the chair down.  Several people looked from Thor to Loki, waiting for the both of them to agree or disagree.

“It’s the only way to get our friends back,” Thor told Loki, but the young god shook his head.

“I don’t like it!  This Dokkalfar has been one step ahead of us this whole time, and we’ve played into his hands.  If we go, I predict something bad is going to happen,” Loki said.

“I’ll betcha ten bucks,” Steve offered, and Loki snickered.

“Does the kid have two nickels to rub together?” Tony asked as he spun around in his chair.  Loki looked at Tony, and suddenly began to pull $100 dollar bills out of his pockets.  He even started to pull one out of his nose and Tony exclaimed, “Okay!  I get it!  You’re rich for some unknown reason!”  Loki chuckled, made the money disappear, and then looked out the glass windows of the hellicarrier.

“Alright.  Let’s give it a try,” Loki said.

Dokkalfar was standing in Central Park with several police officers pointing their guns at him when the Avengers arrived.  “Stay in here,” Thor told Loki.  The god scowled, but he listened.  For about two seconds.  As soon as they were out and the doors were closed, Loki made himself invisible and teleported outside.  He watched from a distance, waiting to spring into action when Dokkalfar would betray his word.  As soon as Dokkalfar saw Thor coming alone (the rest of the Avengers were hidden), he snickered and indicated Natasha, Clint, and Bruce tied back to back.  “So, you have come, Odinson!  Good.  Then I won’t have to accuse you of cowardice,” Dokkalfar said as he approached. 

“I am not a coward!  If my friends need me, I will be there for them!” Thor said, his voice booming.  Loki had to smile at Thor’s ever strong outlook on any situation.  Dokkalfar smirked and with his mind, he threw Natasha, Clint, and Bruce forward.  All three of them were unconscious, and they had a few bruises.  Thor’s eyes narrowed, and he dropped Mjolnir.

“Now, you must swear on your honor you must never summon it for your defense,” Dokkalfar said.  Thor did not look away from him, but this made the rest of the Avengers shook their heads.

“Bad idea Point Break!  Make no promises!” Tony said into his comm, but Thor ignored him.  Loki’s eyes widened as Thor went down on his knee and placed his hand over his heart.

“I solemnly swear on my honor that I will not summon Mjolnir to my defense,” Thor said.

“Thor, don’t!” Loki shouted as he rushed forward and stepped in front of him.  Thor looked up at him like he was mad, and Dokkalfar laughed. 

“Oh, well, if it isn’t my partner in crime!” Dokkalfar said.  Loki cringed at the familiarity, but Dokkalfar’s statement made the Avengers frown.

“What are you trying to say?” Steve asked as he appeared and waved the cops away.  Loki could feel something inside telling him that Dokkalfar was about to play dirty.

“Why, Loki’s been working with me this whole time,” Dokkalfar said and everyone turned to look at Loki.  The expression on his face was one of pure surprise, and at first, all he saw was Dokkalfar’s Cheshire Cat smirk.  “Why do you think he returned to you so willingly?  Who could have informed me about the tracker in his helmet and had me set that brilliant trap for your unsuspecting friends?”  Clint, Bruce, and Natasha were starting to wake up, and they were also looking at Loki.

“It’s not true!  I returned to them because you threatened Thor!” Loki hissed, trying to keep his cool. 

“Well, a bargain is a bargain.  Since you’ve given me Odinson,” Dokkalfar said, as he mentally pulled Thor towards him, “you can have this precious little souvenir back.”  Dokkalfar revealed Loki’s horned helmet and threw it at him.  Loki caught it and stared at his reflection in the gold.  “You see, he only really cares about himself.  He’s always looking out for the most important person in the universe,” Dokkalfar said as he and Thor started to disappear.  Loki looked up and saw the expression on Thor’s face.  His eyes told Loki everything.  He was disappointed in him.

“Thor!  He’s lying!  It’s a lie!” Loki begged before they disappeared entirely.  As soon as Dokkalfar was gone, Loki heard Steve come up behind him.

“I’m sorry Loki, but, I’m going to have to take that helmet from you and take you back to the hellicarrier,” he told him.  Loki felt tears stinging his eyes as Steve put magical restraints on his wrists.  That was when he heard Ikol’s voice in his head.

They have betrayed you again!  They will not let you explain your side.  And you know why?  It’s because they know that in the end, you will be just like me!

Loki closed his eyes and shook his head as he refused to believe it.  “I won’t give up!  I won’t give in!” he whispered vehemently.  “I am not you and I will never be you!  And I will prove my innocence!”  That was when he felt something puncture the back of his neck, and a second later, Loki lost consciousness.