Framed

When Loki opened his eyes, he was inside a glass prison.  As he looked around and even ran his fingers along the glass, he had a flash back.

“Ant.  Boot.”

“It’s an impressive cage.  Not built I think, for me.”

“Built for something a lot stronger than you.”

“Oh I’ve heard.  The mindless beast.  Makes play he’s still a man.”

Loki looked at his shackled hands and sighed.  He had been framed, and beautifully so.  But a small smirk appeared in the corner of his mouth.  He was not totally beaten.  If there was one thing Loki was good at, it was faking an appearance of defeat, and then checkmating his opponent.  “Why do you smile?  Is Ikol so strong after all?” asked a voice and Loki turned.  He saw the Avengers standing outside his glass cell with Fury, Hill, Coulson, Selvig, Jane, and Darcy with them.  It was Fury who had spoken.   

“Nothing.  No, Ikol is not strong.  I have always managed to control him,” Loki answered as he stood up.  His hand touched the glass and he smiled at them, but it was a sad smile.  “I made no such bargain with Dokkalfar.  He’s trying to make you all focus your attention on me, instead of saving Thor,” Loki told them.  Jane bit her lip, shook her head, and walked out of the room.  Selvig was right behind her.  Darcy lingered for a little while, but her upset expression cut Loki to the core.  She finally turned and followed her friends.  Loki looked at the Avengers and raised his manacled hands.  “You must believe me!” he begged. 

Natasha walked up to the glass and put her hand on it.  Loki covered it on his side and their eyes met.  “I believe you,” she whispered.  Loki felt like a great burden had been lifted from his shoulders.  “I think that Loki is right.  He would never do this, not after everything that’s happened.  If you’re going to question him, I’ll have no part in it.  I’m going to look for Thor,” Natasha said as she left.  Clint followed her soon after, placing his hand on the glass.  Bruce was right after him, followed by Tony, and finally Steve.

“We’ll figure this out,” Steve told him, right before they all left to find their friend.  The only people with him in the room, were Fury, and his two agents.  Loki looked at them, but he did not see the same type of understanding in Fury’s eyes.

“Let’s look at the facts Loki.  You carry the seed of what you used to be.  And what you used to be, hated Thor.  You would want his demise and you would lead the rest of the Avengers around and make them think that you were still that innocent child that they raised,” Fury said.

“Keep thinking that Director, if it gives you comfort,” Loki said as he turned his back on Fury.  “You’re falling for Dokkalfar’s tricks.  He wants you thinking it was me, the obvious person to suspect.  Meanwhile, he’s torturing Thor, and eventually, turning his attention to earth.  With the Mind Gem, he will take over easily.  Instead of blaming me, I recommend you let me help you find him and end him.  There is a reason everyone else wanted his species dead,” Loki said as he glanced over his shoulder at Fury.  That was when he sat down in the middle of the glass cell, crossed his legs, closed his eyes, and breathed.  Fury knew that he was not going to get more out of Loki, so they left.  Loki breathed and counted in his head.  One, two, three, four, five, six…  He looked up and glanced around.  He saw all the cameras studying him closely, and knew maybe a few vindictive SHIELD agents were watching him.  Loki closed his eyes again, but a second later, he felt a presence.  He opened his eyes and looked up.  Dokkalfar was standing before him.  “Coming to gloat?  Typical.  Only villains who are unsure how their plans are going, come to see their captured enemy,” Loki said as he repositioned himself to have his back to the Dark Elf.

“You think that just because you were once some powerful god that you are still worth something now?” Dokkalar asked.  Instead of waiting for Loki to answer, he kicked him in the side.  Loki winced and brought his elbow over his bruised ribs.  Dokkalfar kicked him again, this time sending him into the glass.  Loki’s cry of pain filled the room, but at that moment, nobody was looking at their security screens.  Loki tried to prop himself up on his elbows, but Dokkalfar grabbed him by the throat.  “You are nothing!  You are worthless!  Who is Prince Loki?  He is nobody!” Dokkalfar hissed into his face as he dragged him up.

“I’m pretty sure this proves you’re insecure on a number of levels,” Loki managed to choke out.  Dokkalfar’s eyes widened right before he drew something from his side.  Loki felt a knife enter his body, right between two of his ribs.  His scream was strangled by Dokkalfar’s grip. 

“You will die here, and a certain someone will be very pleased,” Dokkalfar said as he dropped Loki.  Loki covered his bleeding side, and his blood puddled underneath him.  Dokkalfar just laughed before he disappeared.

Clint walked back to the monitor and glared at the agent sitting in the chair before the screen.  As he glanced down to look at his locked up video gaming buddy, he saw Loki lying near a wall, his blood oozing out onto the floor.  “Loki!” Clint shouted right before he ran to the detention room.  The rest of the Avengers turned away from their search for Thor and saw what had caused their team member such distress.  The SHIELD agent was calling paramedics to meet Clint in the glass cell.

“Oh my God,” Tony said numbly as they all ran there. 

When Clint burst through the doors, he gathered Loki into his arms and looked down at his pale face.  “I didn’t do it,” Loki whispered as he hold of Clint's leather jacket.

“I know you didn’t kid!  That asshole was lying,” Clint told him as the paramedics arrived with a stretcher.  He reluctantly gave Loki over to them, and watched as they strapped him in, attached him to fluids, and began to stop the blood flow. 

“His vitals are dropping fast!” a doctor said as they wheeled him quickly to the medical wing of the hellicarrier.  Clint followed them, running into the rest of the Avengers as he did so.

“Clint, you’re covered in blood,” Bruce told him calmly.  Clint looked down and realized that while he had been cradling Loki, he had gotten the kid’s blood all over his arms, hands, and on his shirt and jacket.  Clint shook for a moment but then they all concentrated on watching the doctors and nurses try to save their little ward.

Jane, Erik, and Darcy were sitting in the cafeteria when more alarms went off.  “Now what?” Jane asked in an irritated tone of voice.  Darcy did not say anything, she was too busy stirring her green tea.  As agents ran by, Erik finally caught one.

“Hey!  What’s happened?” he asked.

“Loki was stabbed in his cell!  He’s in surgery now!” the agent said as he ran by.  This made all three of them sit up.  A second later, they were running to the medical wing to see him.  When they arrived, they saw the Avengers standing there with Fury, Coulson, and Hill.  They looked through the glass and saw Loki, unconscious on the table as the doctors worked.

“His pulse is failing!” a nurse said and Natasha gripped Steve’s hand.  Jane gave them all a sideways glance and noticed their different expressions.  Steve’s face was pale, his mouth set in a firm line.  Natasha’s mouth was open and her lips were dry.  She had to lick them every now and then.  Bruce had removed his glasses and was wiping sweat from his forehead.  Tony was chewing on his bottom lip, until it started to bleed.  Clint was just staring, his bloody hands by his side, the muscles under his skin working hard.

“Doctor!” another nurse as she withdrew her hand from Loki’s side.  The surgical team gasped and took a step back.

“What’s going on in there?” Fury asked loudly through the comm.  The doctor turned and all he did was point.  The Avengers, SHIELD agents, and scientists stared and finally gasped.  Ice was growing up Loki’s body and covering his injury.  They watched as his skin slowly turned blue, and fine designs cut their way across his body.  The machines started to freeze, but before they did, they flat lined.  The ice slowly made its way up to his neck and finally grew over his neck and head.  The Avengers watched as it covered his face until he was completely encased in it.  The doctors turned to look at the team.

“I’m so sorry.  But, he’s dead.”