8. Christmas Eve

December 24

The gifts are under the tree, my mom is finally off work, and Noel is screaming jingle bells at the top of her lungs. This year my mom is having me help her cook, for whatever reason. Yesterday was amazing. I talked to Farrah for two hours!! Even though I had her do most of the talking.

I'm working on it, despite what my brother says.

-

Adonis

"Boy you know what I told you about having that hair on your face." My mom said as she seasoned the turkey for tomorrow.

"I like it." I told her.

"I don't. You look too grown."

"I'm 17 though."

"Get rid of that Adonis." She said sighing.

I stayed silent.

"You hear me?"

I continued to not say anything.

"Adonis shave that mess off-"

"Farrah said I look nice with it."

Yesterday on the phone she complimented me, saying I looked "sexy and mature"..which I'm sure was a joke. But I liked it.

"Last time I checked..Farrah isn't your mother." She said stepping up to me and getting in my face. It doesn't intimidate my like it used to, now it just annoys me. "I don't know what's got you thinking you're grown, but you're not. And if it's a girlfriend who's got you acting like this-"

"Acting like what? Why do you and Eden say that? I thought you wanted me to talk more."

"What I want is respect!"

You only think I'm disrespecting you because I'm not letting you disrespect me.

This time I don't say anything aloud. I shouldn't talk so much.

"Come put this turkey in the oven Adonis."

Sade / Adonis' mother

It was tearing me apart. Looking at Adonis all I see is Ellis. It's almost impossible not to. When he was younger I knew he'd look like his father, I'd never thought it would be this bad.

He's becoming increasingly annoyed about me pestering him about it. He's always been so passive, but lately his frustrations have been coming out— though the doctors said this would come with age.

As for this girlfriend of his, I initially liked Farrah, but I don't want her changing him. He's happy how he is.

After putting the turkey in the oven Adonis went upstairs, leaving me in the kitchen alone. I hate making him upset.

"You ever thought about military school?" Eden said from the living room.

"I'm not sending him off to a school. I'm sure this connection club will help him enough." I told Eden, although I was partially reassuring myself.

"You said the same thing about Camp Make A Friend when he was 15." Eden laughed.

"Turn that game off and go upstairs. Next time you say something about your brother I'm getting my belt, you ain't too old."

He mumbled something to himself before using the remote to turn the tv off, eventually going upstairs.

Farrah »

I'd finally gotten home from the restaurant, in which I was putting Holiday decorations up. Without saying a word to Braheim, I went into my room, shutting the door behind you.