15. Creative Writing

Journal #6
Mom hasn't talked to me much since I called her Rasta boyfriend a bitch. I don't care. School is starting back soon, and for once I'm excited..me and Farrah are friends, and when people see us together, they'll be jealous.

My alarm got me up at precisely 6:15. Back to school.

I'd been talking to Farrah everyday since break started, despite my mom telling me not to. I guess I'm a rebel.

I put on a long sleeve black shirt, and dark jeans. I threw on my chain I got for Christmas. I looked in my mirror, before putting on my coat. I need a haircut.

"Hurry up Adonis!" My mom yelled from downstairs. That's the most our exchanges have been. She doesn't ask me how my day's going how she usually did.

I'm starting to think she'll be mad forever. But for whatever reason, I don't regret what I said. I don't feel bad. I said what I meant.

I got my book bag and went downstairs.

Farrah»

I walked into school feeling refreshed. Before break started I could barely take it any more, now I was somewhat excited. New semester, new classes, new start.

I looked down at my phone, the school sent us emails of our schedule days ago. Now I just had to pull mine up.

Creative Writing- Ms. Allison

I had a class with her freshman year, nice lady. With beginning a new class however, there was a wave of anxiety that washed over me. Having to get used to a new group of people takes some work. Because at this school at least, for every three people who like me, there's four who don't.

As I walked down the halls to my first class, several people greeted me. One of those being Dumisani, who seemed to be walking the same direction as me.

"Morning, Farrah."

"Good morning." I said, not really in the mood for conversation with him.

"What class you got? For first period?"

"Creative writing."

"Aw shit, really? Me too. Can I..walk you there?"

"Sure." I sighed.

He walked next to me through the crowded hallway. I noticed Melanie by her locker, talking to some senior. I decided not to say anything to her, we hadn't talked at all over break, she'd survive one more day.

Dumisani and I entered an almost empty classroom, being greeted by Ms. Allison

"Goooood Morning, second semester class. Farrah, always nice to see you. You two can go sit in the back, right in front of that young man."

Our eyes were directed to the back of the classroom, where I noticed a boy with a hoodie sitting in the last seat. With his hat snugly pulled over his face, I already knew it was Adonis.

"Not this guy.." Dumisani mumbled, as we went to sit in the pair of desks in front of him.

"Hey Don." I greeted him.

He looked at me and smiled. He gets cuter every day.

"I didn't know you had this class too."

"I signed up last minute. I like writing." He said visibly more comfortable, taking his hat off. It's like the air was different between us. Just before winter break he would barely be able to look at me, now he's talking..and laughing. I wish everyone could see what I did.

"I can't wait to see what you write, Adonis."

"Are you done flirting with him? Or..." Dumi chuckled.

"I'm not flirting, shut up."

More students flooded in the classroom, filling up desks. Some familiar, some not.

"Farrah! Heyyyyy baby!" Keith, my old summer fling said the second he spotted me. We dated for a while during summer break, but when school started we drifted apart. Occasionally he'd text me trying to reconcile. I'm not interested.

"Hi Keith..."

"Damn I'm glad I got this class. Imma write you a poem."

Here we go.

Adonis»

By the time class began it seemed like every guy who walked in the door was flirting with Farrah. All these girls in this class, all they seem to want is her. Especially Dumisani. It was starting to annoy me.

Not like I'm jealous, I just don't like all these guys all over her.

Ms. Allison gave us a simple assignment, write a short story about a pair of lovers, and share at the end of class.

As I was gonna consult Farrah about what types of details I should add to my story, I saw her get up to go to the bathroom. Guess I'll just wait.

I went back to writing a when I noticed Dumisina had turned around in his chair.

"Okay, Adonis. Clearly you have what I want, give me some advice."

"About..?"

"Well you seem to be real close with Farrah. And I'm tryna get at her. So I need some help."

I laughed in my head. She doesn't want him.

"Okay..I can help you I guess."

"Cool. Well when you talk to her, I want you to tell her this exactly: Hey, Dumisani told me that he's into you. You should hit him up."

Why can't he tell her that himself?

"Okay. I'll let her know."

-

Soon Farrah returned to class, and as she was going back to sit in her seat, i decided to relay Dumisina's message.

"Oh..Farrah. Dumisina told me to tell you that he's into you. And that you should hit him up."

He looked at me like I was crazy, while Farrah chuckled.

"Oh...well you should probably tell him that I'm not really into him like that." She said sitting down.

"You weren't supposed to tell her now, you retard."

"I was gonna say no either way. Don't call him names, asshole." Farrah told Dumisani, before picking up her bag and placing it in the chair next to me.

"Do you mind if I sit next to you, Don?"

"Not at all." I told her, fighting back a grin. She grabbed her notebook and sat down next to me, causing Dumisani to roll his eyes. Of course I didn't purposely sabotage his plan, I just misunderstood. But it backfiring in his face was satisfying.

"Soo. Who you writing about for your love story?"

"Girls."

"Two girls?" She asked, glancing at my notebook.

"Yep."

"Well, tell me about them."

"Their names are Kayla and Rylie..Kayla is shy and rylie helps her not to be. Then they fall in love, and have sex in her Mom's car."

"Oh...very detailed. Though if I were you I wouldn't add the sex part."

"I don't write it out, it's just implied.

I don't know much about sex, but I know that most people do it. And I want my story to be realistic.

"What's your story about?" I asked her.

"A girl..named Farrah." She said looking down at what she was writing.

"Oh, you used your own name. Who's the other person?"

"A boy. Named Adonis."

Uh..