16. Keith

Adonis

"Hey...that's my name."

"Mmhm."

"Why'd you choose us?"

I didn't quite understand if Farrah was trying to tell me something, or just so happened to have used our names.

I mean, there's no way she likes me. No way. It's unfathomable.

"Just cause. There's a lot to work with..with you and I. A lot to write about. We're really different, but also have a lot in common, that's good for a love story."

"You think so?"

"I'm sure. I think it's gonna turn out really good. Maybe a two-parter."

Good for a love story?

"I don't know Farrah. I'm not a relationship person, girls don't date people like me."

"What do you mean people like you?"

"You know...retards." I told her, using the word Eden and Dumisina used.

She looked at me with hurt in her eyes, like I'd just insulted her.

"Adonis...don't- how could you use that word about yourself?"

"That's just what everyone else says."

"Well it's not true. Come on Don, you're a smart and nice guy. I don't wanna hear you put yourself down again. You deserve someone."

I guess I'll try.

Farrah »

I wasn't sure how Adonis was going to take me putting him in my story, but to me it seemed like he was uncomfortable, which was the last thing I wanted.

Class was close to ending, with Ms. Allison urging us to finish our stories.

"Hey Farrah?" Adonis said quietly.

"Yeah?"

"I've been thinking.."

"About?" I asked him.

"About me..and relationships."

"Okay.. ?"

"And..well..I want to go on a date."

My cheeks warmed up a bit.

"A date..?" I asked him, for some reason with butterflies in my stomach.

"Yeah..with Ivy. C-could you help me ask her?"

And just like that, the warmth of delight within me turned into heat of embarrassment. The butterflies in my stomach were now moths creating a sinking nauseous feeling.

I tried convincing my self I don't like Adonis, but the more time I spend with him, the more I like hearing his voice, the more I like hearing his laugh, the more I like seeing him smile.

I shook those thoughts from my head. Come on Farrah, really? You've had a million stupid crushes, why trip about this one?

"Of course I'll help you, like I said..you deserve someone."

"Thanks Farrah. What you said about me fitting in a love story made me think. I'm gonna put myself out there. Starting with Ivy."

"Well I'll help you now. Pass me your phone?"

He reached in his pocket, and handed me his phone underneath the desk.

Ivy, Ivy, Ivy. What's so good about her?

I kept my negative thought in my head as I thought of something to text her. I wasn't gonna mess up Don's chances just because of my tiny crush on him. I get it a week I'll be over it.