Chapter 14

The clock hits ten once we finish the movie we all decided to watch. Ally's mother came to pick her and Cora up, and I follow Adler back to his car.

"So, where is all your family?" I ask, hoping it wasn't a question he didn't want to answer, but Adler smiles at me.

"My sister is in college at the moment, and my parents should be getting off work, but they usually go out today."

I smile as I hop in the passenger, Adler taking the drivers seat and I turn to look at him. "Do your parents go out often?"

He scoffs. "All the time. They're high school sweethearts."

"Awe, that's sweet."

"I know, it's in the name. What about yours?"

I sigh as Adler starts the car, sitting back and watching through the front window as he backs the car up and begins down the road.

"My parents met when they got out of college. They met in a coffee shop where my mother worked."

"Do they go out a lot?"

"Mm... no... I guess not."

My eyebrows furrow as I stare at my hands. When was the last time my parents went out on a date? They haven't been on one ever since I was born.

"They kind of... give all their attention to me."

"Single child?"

"Yeah. I never really thought about it much. My mother works until the end of school to come take me back home."

Adler grins over at me. "You should tell them to take a night off."

"Maybe I should."

"And then, have a party."

"Absolutely."

"Really-"

"Not."

Adler frowns towards the window. "Why not? It would be fun!"

"My parents would be mad at me. And i'm no good at lying, there's no point. I may be able to get you guys to come over with me. My parents hate it when i'm alone without supervision."

Adler gives me a weird look and I try not to show the surprise on my face at that sentence I let slip out.

My parents don't like to leave me alone at all, because i'm unpredictable. My abilities, though now more trained and controlled, did not always do my bidding. With how many abilities I have, some popped up randomly, or showed up when I showed extreme emotion. I almost set the entire cabin house on fire when I was five because the ability just happened to appear at that moment.

My father trained me hard after that. He was terrified I would hurt myself, and even though I hated the training when I was young, I understand now.

"Without supervision? What are you? Five?"

Ha.

"It's complicated," I mumble and Adler shrugs, changing the subject.

"So. Are you still mad at Angel?"

I hesitate, eyes cast forward in thought for a second. "I don't know."

"I think everyone is overreacting."