5

“And you’re sure you’ve done this before?” I yawned as I felt the lavender dye creep down my forehead. I was back at Michaela’s place (I’m usually at Michaela’s) getting ready for the Halloween party in Harlem tonight. We had spent the earlier part of that day baking Halloween treats for later and bleaching my hair.

“Just hold still, Mike!” She giggled before slapping another glob of dye on my head.

It was decided. We were officially going as turtles. Ashton sulked for at least 3 hours when Calum and I broke the news to him – “Does this mean we can’t be pirates?” “I bought the costumes with my own money, Mike” - blah, blah, blah.

“Have you ladies decided on your costumes, yet?” I asked, squinting my eyes so no unnecessary substance would drip into them. All of the girls have been refusing to tell any of us what they’re going as for Halloween and Luke claimed to have asked months ago.

“I’ve told you that it’s going to be a surprise, Michael,” as she spoke, I felt the tip of the hairbrush painting further down my neck.

“Well, don’t you have to get ready soon? It will take forever to get to Harlem with all of this Halloween traffic,” I said, looking down at my phone.

“Oh, shit - what time is it?” She asked, quickly putting the brush in a small plastic bowl.

“I have to clean everything up…” Michaela walked over to the open door and called, “Is Luke even here yet?” to Victoria.

I waited for a couple of seconds before hearing a muffled “no” erupt from across the loft.

Michaela stomped back over towards me and put a plastic bag over my hair (when she bleached it, I may or may not have gotten it on some furniture). “He said he would’ve been here by now,” she muttered, picking up miscellaneous tools that were used in the hair-dyeing process.

“Here, let me help,” I said, slowly rising from my seat.

“Oh, no you don’t…” She said, pushing me back down. “I’m sure you will help – help yourself to getting dye all over my new throw pillows.”

“Fine,” I huffed, crossing my arms. “I didn’t want to help anyway,” I slumped down in my seat, making it obvious that I wasn’t happy.

Michaela hit me with a towel that had been on the floor, “Don’t be a baby, Mike,” a small smile forming on her face.

The alarm system chimed as the front door opened, “Hey, sorry I’m late…”

Luke.

“It’s okay, what took you so long?” Michaela asked while making her way to the kitchen to rinse out the bowl she had the dye in.

“Well, since it’s Halloween…I may have stopped to get some candy…Butterfinger, your favorite,” I couldn’t see his face or his actions since I was still seated in Michaela’s room, but I imagined him rushing over to hug Michaela, forgetting about his own girlfriend.