11

yeah ok i know that this has been a long time but yeah whatever follow me on tumblr lmao - un-harry

~*~

“Listen, I’m sorry, okay?” I heard voices outside the bedroom again. It was around 10 AM, about 5 hours after Michaela and I finished figuring it out. Luke was probably finally awake. I think Michaela was about to make us some waffles and something for Luke’s head like we discussed last night.

It’s not Luke’s fault that he’s an emotional drunk, and it’s not really his fault that he can’t help but fall for my girlfriend. It’s pretty easy, actually.

 I was about to stand up and join in on their conversation, but I remembered that Luke doesn’t know that Michaela told me everything about their shared past.

 “Luke, it’s getting really tiring,” Michaela had an exasperated tone, as though she had been working on telling him that enough was enough for a long time now. “Something triggers you, you get drunk, you come over, and you try to fuck me – but you always end up drooling on my futon.”

 “I’m really sorry,” Luke did sound genuinely sorry for his actions, which made the next part even more painful to hear.

 “Luke, we will never be together. You’re a really good friend of mine and I would hate to mess up our relationship even more than it already is.”

 “But, you told me at Chaude Nouveau that we had a chance,” he managed to get out in a pain-filled whisper.

 “I said that you shouldn’t run towards something if you’re running away from something else, which is exactly what you’re doing right now.”

 “Okay, um…” I could tell that he was trying to hold back tears – real tears, tears that weren’t caused by drunken emotions. “Would it be any consolation to say that I really do love you a lot? And it’s not just the hangover talking?”

 “Luke, stop saying that!”

 “I can’t help it! You know, I never understood you. When Riley broke up with you, you slept with dozens of guys to get back at him. Those guys have hearts, Mick. They have hearts that you’ve broken. But you also have a heart that never seems to get broken,” he finished his ill-prepared thought with a sad laugh.

 “Sometimes, the best way to not get your heart broken is to pretend like you don’t have one,” she replied, barely missing a beat.

 “You’re heartless,” Luke spat.

 “I’m not heartless. I just got smarter. I wouldn’t let my happiness depend on someone else who didn’t feel the same way. That’s something you should learn.”

 “I’m not you…and I’m glad I’m not you.”

"At least I'm not using my heart as an extra liver so I can drink more and feel less!" She shouted, signaling my return. 

 “Guys, you need to chill out,” I said before walking in on Luke getting ready to pounce on my girlfriend. His fists were clutched and his face was red and streaky.

Michaela looked scared – like, really scared.

 “I’m going to change the sheets,” she said, trying to cover up her emotions with a wink in my direction before retiring to the bedroom for the time being.

 I looked at Luke who was avoiding my gaze for the time being. “Anything you feel like you have to say to me?”

 Luke sighed before answering, “Are you still going to work at Hut Rock?”