Chapter 4: The Foreshadow

I sighed as I came home from school. I  walked towards my room and put my bag on the table.

I laid on the bed and sighed. The first day of school was tiring. I remembered what happened today at school.

I met Emily. She was sweet and nice and then there was that asshole that I met today who I had a fight.

I heard a knock on my room's room. I turned my head and saw grandma on the doorway.

"Assalamualikum," she smiled as she made her way to my bed and sat on it.

I rolled to her on the bed and put my head on her lap. "Walikum Assalam, grandma."

"How was school?" she asked as she ruffled my hair.

I turned to her and watched her from below. "Good and . . ." I wanted to mention about the incident but grandma already was worried about so many things. I shouldn't bother her.

"And . . ."

"Good and nice," I told her.

"Any new friends?" She asked.

I smiled. "Yeah, I met this girl today. She is with me in English and Drama."

"What's her name, sweetie?"

"Emily," I said, remembering her. "She has brown eyes, tan skin and raven short hair. She is really sweet, grandma."

Grandma smiled. "I am glad you made a friend today."

I nodded. I looked at the clock and noticed it was 5:00 pm.

I needed to pray Asr prayer.

I got off from grandma's lap and began to walk towards the washroom.

"Radi will be coming home late tonight," grandma said before I entered the washroom.

I looked at her confusingly.

"He didn't bother to tell me why is he going to be late but I am guessing he would come home drunk," she said.

I went near grandma and sat on my knees and held her hands.

"Don't go out of your room today, sweetie," she said looking at me. "Radi turns into a monster when he is drunk. The last time he took a knief and was about to scratch with it on your back until I pulled you in a room and shut the door."

I nodded.

"I don't want you to be hurt again. Stay in yout room and lock it. I will try to take care of him," she said. "No matter how much he hurt you, he won't hurt me because the property is still in my name not his."

I didn't say anything. I knew what grandma meant.

Uncle never cared about anything. The only things he cared about was money. He drank almost every week. We went on clubs. He had no respect for women and only used them. I wondered if he forgot about our religion.

I sighed.

What was I saying? Of course he had. I have never seen him prayering or listening to the Holy Quran recitation. He did things that non - believers of Islam did.

Heck, he did things that was inhuman to any body whether it was religiously or not.

I felt grandma patting my head. I looked at her.

"I wish Radi could be a little like your dad. Then you won't have to suffer this much," she said softly.

I saw her eyes getting watery.

"Your dad and your mom took such a good care of me and you," she paused. "Even Radi."

I looked at her in shock.

My parents took care of uncle and now when they were gone, he was treating me in such a bad way.

Didn't he felt any thankful to what my parents did for him?

"Radi wasn't like this when he was small but then he met people who were bad and greedy. Influence led to destruction," she said. "And look at him now. He have turned to a non - believer and even a sinner who only know how to chase for money. Nothing else."

I kissed grandma's hand and whipped her tears. "Please grandma, don't cry," I told her. "Everything is going to be okay."

She nodded. "I know, baby girl. I know. I won't let him hurt you anymore. You have suffered so much since the accident and it is time for you to have a change in your life."

I was confused of what grandma was speaking.

It was as if she was planning to do something.

I didn't understand her.

She smiled at me and said, "You better get change now. I don't want you to miss your Asr prayer."

I nodded and got off from her lap and walked towards the washroom.

All I was thinking was about what grandma had told me. Grandma's words rang in my ears.

Everything is going to turn just like before from this year.

You don't even ķnow what is waiting for you today.

It is time for you to have a change in your life.

I didn't understand what she was saying. My life would change this year? How was that ever going to happen? I was probably going to stuck being a free loader in my uncle's house until I graduate and find a job for myslef.

Maybe I was thinking too much. Grandma probably said those words to make me feel good. Nothing like that would ever happen to me.

Never.