Chapter 20: The Flashback

In about a few minutes we reached to the huge mansion. The Chatti mansion.

Emily parked the car in the parking lot and got out of the car. I got out off the car as well and we made our way towards the mansion.

"Mom will be so happy when she sees you," she said as she rang the door bell.

The door opened as we saw a maid there.

"Welcome home, my lady," she said.

Emily smiled. "Thanks Helen, where is mom?"

"She is in the kitchen," Helen replied.

Emily nodded and dragged me with her to the kitchen. The kitchen wasn't far from the door. We reached the kitchen as we smelled the delicious chocolate chip cookies.

We went in the kitchen as we saw Mrs. Chatti wearing mittens on her hands and pulling out a tray of baked fresh chocolate chip cookies from the oven. She turned around and saw us.

Emily ran to her and hugged her. "Assalamualikum, mom," she said.

Mrs. Chatti smiled and put the tray in the table. "Walikum Assalam, Emily."

I looked at the chocolate chip cookies. They were fresh and well baked. I couldn't help but to feel the urge to grab one cookie and dump it in my mouth.

I noticed Emily trying to grab one of the cookies as Mrs. Chatti held her ear.

"Ouch, mom!" She winched.

"Prayer first," she laughed.

Emily nodded. Mrs. Chatti looked at me and smiled. I smiled back. She came near me and pulled me in a hug.

Her hug felt motherly, just as before. I hugged her back this time. As we pulled away from the hug, she cupped my cheeks and kissed my forehead.

"Assalamualikum, Yumna," she said, looking at me.

I smiled. "Walikum Assalam, Mrs. Chatti."

I didn't know what it was but Mrs. Chatti was so sweet. I had never met a person like her who made me felt this warm.

"Mrs. Chatti?" She laughed. "Honey, soon you will have to call me, mom."

My heart melted at her words.

Mom, huh?

It had been years since I had ever called somebody 'mom.'

"I know, I cannot take your mother's place in your heart," she smiled sadly. "Neither do I want to. Your mom was more than a friend to me. She was like my sister . . ."

I could see her eyes becoming watery.

Did my mom meant that much to her? We were not even as rich at them but, Mrs. Chatti seemed to care for my family from her heart.

"She . . ." Mrs. Chatti sighed. She put my hair behind my ear. "She was as beautiful as you are, sweetie. I know I cannot be her but I hope I can atleast make you feel like I am your mother."

I pulled her in a hug.

What else did I need to hear to love this woman?

I didn't remember if we knew each other in the past, but, I knew that this woman cared about me.

Maybe, if my mother was still here, she would be just like her.

I let tears ran down my eyes as she pulled away from the hug. She whipped my tears.

"Yumna, you should pray Magrib," she said. She looked at Emily. "Emily, take her to the prayer room, sweetie."

Emily nodded.