Chapter 7: Who is the Juliet?

"O brother Montague," a male student said holding a book on his hand. "Give me thy hand. This is my daughter's jointure," he moved his hand in an act."For no more can I demand."

Everybody clapped their hands as I sighed.

We were doing our audition in the drama class and it was boring. I mean, nobody memorized the quotes so everybody was looking at the book and staring at their quotes for the audition.

I saw Ms. Henry scribbling down something on the notepad.

"Next," she spoke.

Another person came in front of the class to tell her lines.

I glanced at the book where my lines were and kept practicing.

The boy in front of the class cleared his throat and began.

"How oft when men are at the point of death," he said in a high tone, almost yelling. "Have they been merry, which their keepers call," he bend his knees and put his hands in the air. "A light'ning before death! O, how may I
Call this a light'ning?-O my love! my wife," he moved his hands in the air and cried out, until Ms. Henry interrupted.

"Slow down, Michael," Ms. Henry sighed. "None of us are deaf here."

Everybody laughed as Michael felt embarassed.

He stood upright and peeked at his book, "Death, that hath sucked the honey of thy breath, Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty."

Everybody clapped as he rushed to his seat.

I sighed, leaning on the table.

Goodness! I hoped I wouldn't do such a thing when I do my audition. It would be humiliating.

Emily looked at me, "Next is your turn, Yumna."

I looked at her in shock.

"Don't look at me like this," she said. "There are only two people left for the audition after Michael which is you and Omar. I dought Ms. Henry would ask Omar first since he have a reputation of being a good actor."

"But I am not ready!" I whinned.

"Yumna! It's your turn now," Ms. Henry said.

I was sitting on the first desk. I got off the seat and looked at her. "Ms. Henry, can I please have some more time to practice my lines?"

"What were you doing all this time?" She asked. "You don't have to act. Just say your lines."

"But-"

She sighed. "Is this is your first drama class?" She asked.

I nodded. "It is and I am a new student here as well so I am not used to saying lines in public."

She nodded. "I understand," she looked at me and then Omar and then at me. "Oh I know. Why don't Omar show you? He is going to do the audition after you anyway."

Wait, what?!

I was shocked.

"Omar," Ms. Henry looked at him. "Why don't you read the lines when Romeo first meets Juliet. Go to page 125. Both of you."

I sighed and flipped the page to page 125.

"Alright, Omar will start and you will follow the lines and say it when you think you are ready," she stated.

I expected Omar to object because he was usually pushy but he didn't object. He came out of his seat and stood in front of the class, just a few steps away from me, without any book.