Chapter 5

"Hi, Neha." A million different ways to start a conversation, yet he chose the safest way.

"Hi." I reply back still feeling a little shy and awkward.

"You look really beautiful in this saree." He tells me and for the first time I find courage within myself to look up to his face.

"Thanks. This is my favourite saree." I tell him with a smile and then mentally scold myself for talking too much. He was silent for some time and I was hoping that the awkwardness will vanish away.

"Look, I really like you. I do not know whether you like me. But, I am really hoping that you would. You stole my breath away and my heart tells me that it is something which is bound to happen every single time I look at you. Though I am a realist, I am a strong believer in destiny. I also hope that destiny would not bring us together without a reason. Just tell me, are you interested in this marriage?" He speaks all of it in one breath.

Wow. Just wow.

Okay so there is something about this that did not sit well with me. He saw me for like twenty minutes and he is already pouring his heart out. What are the chances that he hasn't pulled a stunt like this with someone else before?

"Yeah, actually I am not against marriage and the concept of it or anything. It's just that, I am the only daughter of my family. What happens after I get married? My mother and father will become alone plus I do not think that even I will be content with them staying that way. What if there is an emergency or something? I am really concerned about them just as much as they are concerned about me getting married. That is the only thing that is holding me back." I inform him honestly. Let us see how he is taking it.

"All the more reason for me to like you. I promise you that I will take care of them like they are my own parents. Why should they be alone here? After we get married, they could move in with us or if they are not comfortable with that, I will look for a house for them really close to our house. You do not have to worry about them at all. Trust me. " He tells me at ease.

I am clearly impressed by him and his answers but this is where my insecurities come into play. He is good looking, has a decent job and also has a broad mind. Why would he want plain old Neha? What if he has other intentions? I know I am overthinking things but better be safe than sorry. What harm could one small test from my side bring?

"So Gautham, tell me about your family." I ask him and create a huge scene of dramatically adjusting my saree just to see how he reacts. I wanted to see if that will divert his attention. To my surprise, his gaze never once leaves my eyes. He answers my question with utmost sincerity and I make up my mind.

 It is going to be a yes from my side.

"One last thing, Neha, you can trust me. I will never even conceive the thought of betraying the trust you have on me. All I need is one chance to woo you over. If you are going to tell a yes, then I will spend my entire life making sure that you will not regret your decision. One chance is all that I need. Will you give it to me?" He asks me, his eyes brimming up with hope. "Okay, wrong choice of words. Did I say "woo you over"? I am sorry. My brain cells stop working at the times they are most needed. Shit, I am rambling and I also swore in front of you. You are gonna turn this proposal down, aren't you?" I wanted to laugh at his face because he was overthinking more than me.

"You will find out." I tell him with a mischievous smirk.

We both decide to step out. He goes and sits beside his mother. But I can't stop smiling at the perplexed expression in his face.

"Okay, we will reach home and contact you and let you know about our decision." His father informs us and my father nods.

"No, there will not be any need of that. I have made up my mind. I am either marrying her or I am going to remain a bachelor for the rest of my life." He tells everyone and his mother ducks her head in embarrassment. His mother and father exchange looks with each other and a few more words are exchanged with other family members. 

"Can you excuse us for a minute?" His dad asks us and turns to his wife and son. All of them indulge in rushed whispers and they turn to us before we know it. 

"It is settled, then. Our family likes your daughter, Neha. It is up to you guys, now." His father informs us. "You guys can discuss and get back to us."

"Her Mom and I are happy about this alliance. It is up to Neha to decide now." My father speaks up and again the entire pair of eyes are around me. I start blushing.

Thanks for throwing me under the bus, dad. 

"Yeah, I like him." With that words being set free from my mouth, the face of every single person there becomes flooded with happiness and I stand there overcome by shyness. Besides me, Ananya becomes so happy that I am genuinely surprised as to why she did not faint or something.

"We will talk to the astrologer and fix up a date for their engagement. We will call you tomorrow after consulting our astrologer. " Gautham's Mom tells us as she stands up and comes near me to pinch my cheeks which according to me, was fairly unnecessary but still I was really overwhelmed by happiness about how each member of their family liked me.

In the meantime, Ananya walks up to Gautham and starts talking to him. For a second I was really startled about whether she was really going for him or something but immediately laugh at the thought itself.

She comes back to me after a few minutes.

"Hey, what did you talk to him about?" I was suddenly scared whether she told him all the embarrassing stories about me regarding which she always threatened me about how she was going to share it all with my husband.

"You will find out." She laughs at me, not the genuine one - but a Satanic and an evil one.

I stick my tongue out her to which she merely laughs.

"Okay, we will start now. We are really happy about how things turned out today." His mother speaks up.

"Oh no, why are you guys leaving so soon?" My father questioned them while my mother motions me that I can go to my room.

"The food is ready. You are all having lunch and only then you are allowed to leave. " My mother told them.

"Thank you very much but maybe some other time." His father replied back.

"Definitely not. We will not be letting you guys leave until you eat something here." Hearing that, I walk into my room and close the door behind me. I smile to myself and sit on my bed. I am still completely shocked about how I took the most important decision in my life today and how I did not even have second thoughts about it.

My phone lights up with some notification and I pick it up only to find a new message from an unknown number. I click on the number and open the message.

' Hi ;-) '

So this is what Ananya had done.