Chapter 2

"Where did he go?!"

I jumped back to my senses as I heard the booming voice of Alpha Cain above me in the pack house. My completely numb arms ached terribly as had been raised above my head for hours now.

"How did he get away? I specifically told you to use wolfsbane!" I heard Cain roar again. The sound of wood splintering made me jump and hug my body tighter than I had been.

I looked towards the outsider who had been tied up beside me but found myself completely alone. What happened?

Soon after the sound of footsteps were coming back down the stairs and bright lights were flicked on making my eyes squeeze shut at the sudden change. I could hear heavy footsteps approaching me. Cain stalked towards me and grabbed my arm tightly and lifted me to my feet in one painful yank. The anger rolling off of him was making me cower in fear.

"You better have some answers for me or I'll-"

"Alpha" someone interrupted "We've got a pack of outsiders at the border."

His fingers dug into my arm making me whimper. His eyes shot back to mine giving me a narrowed glare.

"Be ready to talk when I get back" he growled.

He pushed me back down towards the wall and jogged up the stairs and slammed the door at the top.

An outsider pack was here? This probably was the same pack of the wolf we had captured. The only reason they would come back is for revenge.

The wolf inside me was whimpering at the pain on my wrists and letting out long sad howls as if she was calling out for help.

"No one cares" I grinded out between my teeth frustrated with my wolf and my current predicament. There were only two options for my future.. either this pack attacks and I'm a sitting duck or Cain comes back and.. I'm still a sitting duck. I had no idea what happened to Draven's attacker. I had fallen right to sleep too tired to worry about anything else.

I strained to hear further than the pack house, but the border was much too far to sense.

So I waited as silently as I could, still trying to sense and pull from the pack. I desperately wanted to know what was happening. Was my mother still here in the pack house? I couldn't sense her at all.

It must have been an hour later when I heard the sound of the pack returning to the pack house. There were footsteps and thuds, grumbling.. From what I gathered, everyone must be communicating through their wolves. This was mostly feelings, not really spoke clear cut words. I felt the sense that there was something very wrong, and something was dangerously close.

My wolf started getting nervous, pacing back and forth in my head anxiously clawing to get out.

Suddenly, the door at the top of the stairs pushed open and the sound of boots stomping down the stairs made me strain my eyes to see. I didn't recognize the smell of whoever it was coming down the stairs. It certainly wasn't someone from the pack..

I held my breath hoping as if that would help hide me. My heart beat was slamming against my ribs anxiously.

The light flicked on making me wince yet again at the brightness.

A low growl vibrated the air around me. When my eyes were finally able to see in the bright light I only wanted to shut them again after the sight in front of me.

A tall man stood in front of me with a murderous expression on his face. He was glaring at my hands and arm, his eyes rapidly tracing my body and face. I could hear his heart beat increase and his chest heaving as he towered over me.